The Home Medical Equipment (HME) Delivery Driver is an entry level position whose primary responsibilities include: driving a box truck, delivery-pick up of home medical equipment, education to patients and/or caregivers. Work in a fast-paced team environment, excellent customer service and communication skills. Paid on-call work hours are required. The HME Delivery Driver requires the individual to work independently. Must adhere to Company, Federal, State and local regulations and compliance.
• The HME Delivery Driver delivers, sets-up, services and picks-up medical equipment and related supplies to/from patient’s residence and skilled facilities.
• The HME Delivery Driver provides instruction and education material to the patient/or caregiver(s) on the operation, cleaning, and maintenance of medical equipment.
• The HME Delivery Driver obtains a return demonstration to ensure understanding.
• The HME Delivery Driver transports, handles and routes medical equipment according to VITAS Healthcare policies and procedures to comply with infection control, equipment maintenance, and safety.
• The HME Delivery Driver represents VITAS Healthcare professionally at all times through care delivered and services provided to all clients.
• The HME Delivery Driver functions within federal, state, local, VITAS Healthcare and professional guidelines and regulations.
• The HME Delivery Driver maintains the confidentiality of patients, families, colleagues and other sensitive situations within VITAS Healthcare.
• The HME Delivery Driver performs scheduled preventative maintenance and non-scheduled maintenance of equipment.
• The HME Delivery Driver has a strong knowledge in all home medical equipment and ability to train MST staff effectively in High Flow Therapy, Bi-PAP Therapy and Enteral Pumps.
• The HME Delivery Driver completes performance safety checks on equipment at the time of delivery.
• The HME Delivery Driver performs structural/environmental, safety, and patient assessments as related to equipment and participate with the IDT care plan.
• The HME Delivery Driver is computer literate for accurate tracking of equipment and daily performance.
• The HME Delivery Driver can provide initial general training to newly hired MST.
• The HME Delivery Driver may clean and disinfect medical equipment as needed.
• The HME Delivery Driver cleans/disinfects, tests, and repairs medical equipment and maintains accurate records and documentation in accordance with VITAS Healthcare policies and procedures.
• The HME Delivery Driver receives, identifies and labels medical equipment.
• The HME Delivery Driver maintains proper storage of equipment.
• The HME Delivery Driver maintains equipment and supply inventory.
• The HME Delivery Driver coordinates equipment, supplies inventory levels, and communicates with Home Medical Equipment (HME) staff.
• The HME Delivery Driver maintains oxygen refill files.
• The HME Delivery Driver performs warehouse cleaning and overall maintenance.
• The HME Delivery Driver practices safe and proper body mechanics relative to transporting, lifting and set-up of medical equipment.
• The HME Delivery Driver adheres to all safety and security policy and procedures.
• The HME Delivery Driver wears Safety-toed shoes as provided by VITAS Healthcare.
• The HME Delivery Driver operates vehicles according to VITAS Healthcare policies and procedures to assure compliance with OSHA, NFPA, FDA and DOT regulations.
• The HME Delivery Driver operates vehicles in a safe, responsible and defensive manner.
• The HME Delivery Driver is responsible for the cleaning and service notice of vehicles.
• The HME Delivery Driver loads and unloads equipment safely to assure no damage or injury.
• The HME Delivery Driver presents equipment education to a level of understanding by patients/families.
• The HME Delivery Driver reports equipment/patient issues to immediate Supervisor.
• The HME Delivery Driver maintains accurate records in accordance with VITAS Healthcare policies and procedures, i.e., patient equipment delivery/pick-up/service forms, vehicle reports, manifests, and patient needs.
• The HME Delivery Driver may assists less experienced HME delivery drivers by providing guidance and counseling on job duties and responsibilities.
• The HME Delivery Driver attends and participates in related Company meetings and/or committees.
• The HME Delivery Driver completes of all required training during first year of employment as outlined in Career Pathway.
• The HME Delivery Driver performs on-call work as required.
• The HME Delivery Driver maintains positive work relations with staff members
• The HME Delivery Driver provides internal HME Staff with training on home medical equipment.
• The HME Delivery Driver demonstrates courteous behavior and is responsive to patients/families and other members of VITAS Healthcare and the public.
• The HME Delivery Driver performs other job duties as requested.
• The HME Delivery Driver maintains a neat and professional appearance.
• The HME Delivery Driver adheres to all VITAS Healthcare policies and procedures.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Experience with the operation and repair of durable medical equipment preferred.
• Current driver’s license in applicable state.
• Ability to lift 100 pounds when required.
• Highly Organized
• Strong Administrative Skills
• PC Competent
• Able to work with hand-held scanning device.
• Work unsupervised in field exercising discretion and independent judgment.
• Satisfactorily complete job-related competencies.
The HME Delivery Driver reports to the HME/Operations Manager.
VITAS® Healthcare is the nation’s leading provider of end-of-life care, and has the resources and expertise to support your personal and professional growth. As a member of the VITAS team, you’ll find fulfillment working for a people-focused organization dedicated to making a difference in the lives of others. You will be more than just an employee: You will be counted on as an expert in your field, and as a valued team member whose efforts are respected and vital to our hospice mission.
All VITAS employees commit to fulfilling their duties and responsibilities with the highest regard for professionalism, collaboration and teamwork, and an eye focused constantly on growth and improvement. We serve with commitment and compassion, and position ourselves for the future by embracing, innovating, and leading change. If you are that person, make your voice heard—find your purpose at VITAS today.
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Pre-tax healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- 401(k) plan with numerous investment options and generous company match
- Cancer and/or critical illness benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- Affinity Program
Many of our positions offer the opportunity to work day or night shifts, weekdays or weekends.
Choose a Career with VITAS
- Computer Literacy