You have a clear vision of where your career can go. And we have the leadership to help you get there. At CNA, we strive to create a culture in which people know they matter and are part of something important, ensuring the abilities of all employees are used to their fullest potential.
With more than 50 years of experience in the healthcare industry, CNA is a trusted leader and one of the top five underwriters of healthcare professional and general liability insurance products and services for a wide spectrum of organizations and providers. We offer extensive industry knowledge, valuable insight and core coverages tailored to meet the unique needs of hospitals and health systems, allied health facilities, and physician groups.
The Underwriter is responsible for the profitable growth of an assigned book of Healthcare Professional and General Liability business for Allied Health Facilities and Physicians comprised of mid to large accounts. This position will have a heavy emphasis on new business production and renewal book.
The Underwriter is responsible for using technical, sales and analytical skills to provide insurance solutions that help CNA's customers manage risk. The Underwriter will have a thorough understanding of CNA's strategies and appetites and will use internal and external data to make appropriate individual and portfolio risk decisions. Utilizes tools, underwriting policies and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Underwriting Expertise
* Reviews applications and financial requirements to determine acceptability of risk in accordance with CNA's guidelines and standards
* Understands pricing components and rating methodology as well as use of the predictive modeling tools; prices risk based on financial and competitive analysis
* Uses all appropriate underwriting tools (e.g., RST, BPMT, Merlin, etc.), disciplines and knowledge of strategies to ensure underwriting guidelines are followed
* Demonstrates technical underwriting skills through strategic, thorough account reviews and file documentation
* Prepares or analyzes information on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations in order to drive results within the assigned territory
* Adheres to CAT guidelines and underwriting discipline to minimize exposure and appropriately price
* Keeps current on state/territory issues, regulations and trends
2. Portfolio Management
* Manages assigned portfolio to achieve gross written premium, profitability, rate, retention, product mix, new business and portfolio management goals
* Prioritizes time and resources to effectively manage and optimize producer performance
* Operates with an Enterprise perspective to identify cross sell opportunities and create growth within other lines of business and customer segments
* Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of CNA's products and appetite while clearly communicating CNA's position at the point of sale
3. Sales & Distribution Management
* Builds/maintains rigorous sales practices using all CNA systems including Salesforce and other sales tools and disciplines
* Develops producer relationships to build pipeline, agency intelligence, and drives performance to meet and exceed results
* Develops and implements distributor specific plans, monitors performance, and adjusts plan to ensure a substantial pipeline for future profitable growth
* Drives effective relationship management and customer activities to build trust, facilitate negotiation and secure commitment with the customer
* Proactively identifies cross-sell opportunities and partners with other underwriters to deliver comprehensive insurance solutions for the customer
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA's Winning Behaviors - to be externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, and continuously learning.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of underwriting processes, coverages, and tools to gather and evaluate information in order to reach appropriate decisions on renewals and new business
* Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment
* Ability to uncover customer needs, position specific solutions, handle objections and close deals
* Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority
* Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, exercise influence, and manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects
BA or BS degree highly preferred. RPLU, CPCU, or similar designations desired.
Typically a minimum seven to ten years underwriting, agent, broker, and/or consulting experience working with complex accounts involving rate exposures, loss ratings, and collaboration with actuaries for account pricing.
Ideal candidates will have experience with the Healthcare segment (Hospitals, Allied Healthcare Facilities, and Physician Groups) for medical professional and general liability coverages, but will also consider experience from other industry sectors.
Established relationships with brokers and agents highly desired.
Sales, marketing and negotiation skills and proven track record of results.
CNA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in the recruitment process. To request an accommodation, please contact [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Underwriting Consultant (Allied Healthcare Facilities - PL/GL)
- Business Relationship Management
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter