At Houston Methodist, the Staff Registered Nurse (RN) position is a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The Staff RN position provides professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducts nursing assessments, assists with exams and treatment, patient education, and maintenance of medical records.The Staff RN position provides direct patient care effectively and efficiently which may include patients with varied and complex needs. This position communicates and collaborates with the physicians and interprofessional health care team to facilitate, coordinate and maintain compassionate, efficient, quality care and achievement of desired treatment outcomes. The Staff RN position demonstrates clinical competence when providing care, using technology, administering medications, performing procedures and managing emergencies, acting as a patient and family advocate in order to monitor and maintain patient rights. This position assumes leadership roles with progressive responsibility including but not limited to serving as preceptor to new employees and contributing to initiatives in partnership with management.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Uses therapeutic communication, which includes active listening and teaching, to establish a relationship with patients, families and interprofessional health care team to collaborate on the plan of care. (EF)
- Contributes to teamwork by awareness of patient flow, consistently offering assistance, and responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Seeks guidance from and offers guidance to interprofessional health care team, when appropriate, and applies feedback to improve patient outcomes. (EF)
- Implements staff education specific to patient populations and department processes; coaches and mentors other staff and students. May include preceptorship. Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards improvement of department score for turnover/retention/employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Follows the patient and family-centered care standards, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Conducts nursing assessments, assists with exams and treatment, and maintenance of medical records. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Develops, updates and communicates plan of care, in partnership with the patient, family and interprofessional health care team, using the nursing process. Prioritizes care based on the patient's needs, abilities and preferences. (EF)
- Advocates on patient/family's behalf to identify and resolve clinical and ethical concerns, utilizing appropriate resources, coordinating with the interprofessional team to facilitate a holistic and goal-oriented approach to care across the continuum that meets the patient's physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs. (EF)
- Provides patient teaching based on learning needs, uses appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. Consistently evaluates the patient's comprehension and adapts teaching methods accordingly. (EF)
- Helps drive improvement of department score for patient satisfaction, through peer-to-peer accountability to service standards. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Follows the standards related to the nursing process, regulatory requirements and professional practice as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Identifies areas of practice improvements with research-based evidence to achieve quality measures and patient safety outcomes, supported by accurate documentation and patient teaching. (EF)
- Provides and modifies care to complex patients and coordinates care with the interprofessional team based on evaluation of the patient's condition, supported by accurate documentation. Utilizes clinical judgement, using an evidence-based analytical approach. (EF)
- Improves quality and safety scores, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional health care team. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Displays self-motivation to independently manage time effectively, timely document care, minimize incidental overtime, and prioritize daily tasks. Provides input into the unit resource utilization including unit capital and operational budget needs. (EF)
- Contributes towards meeting department financial targets through optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Identifies and presents areas for innovation, efficiency and improvement in patient care or department operations using evidence-based practice literature. Offers innovative solutions through evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects and shared governance activities. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
- Champions new care pathways or service line implementations to improve care to the community. Identifies trends for improvement opportunities or practice changes and supports initiatives. Researches the change and presents options to appropriate clinical leadership. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- One year registered nurse experience in a healthcare environment
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
- American Heart Association BLS
- Other credentials and certifications as defined by department
- American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC)-recognized certification in applicable specialty area preferred
Registered Nurse Certified