In addition to the application process please copy and paste the link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Captain - American Queen Steamboat Company
The Captain will oversee the smooth operation of the entire vessel with compliance to all Federal, State and Local laws and regulations. The Captain is ultimately responsible for the safety and security of all persons onboard the vessel while on watch. The Captain has authority and responsibility for taking all necessary actions for safety, pollution prevention and the efficient operation of the ship under guidance of the Vice President of Marine Operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the safety of passengers and crew and the safe operation of the vessel
- Report defects and other matters with implications for safe operations or pollution risk
- Report non-conformities, accidents and injuries involving personnel or equipment and hazardous situations to the Vice President of Marine Operations, as well as USCG
- Request assistance from Company as may be deemed necessary to ensure safe and pollution free operation on the ship
- Prepare detailed schedules for future itineraries and then advise of any unduly high speed or impractical arrival times, etc. that become apparent
- Oversee navigational charts required for the itinerary and for planning are carried onboard
- Monitor the operational condition of all navigation instruments, instigating corrective action when necessary
- Observe weather and river conditions closely at all times and take proper actions when necessary, while communicating such actions to the VP of Marine Operations
- Advise the VP of Marine Operations of unusual delays and/or causes with revised ETA’s for the port of call
- Review of onboard contingency plans and ship procedures and report any deficiencies to management
- Maintain security files and ensure that all notification and reports are made in accordance with Vessel Security Plan
- Responsible for the seaworthy condition of the vessel, ensuring the vessel is properly manned at all times, secured and ready for each voyage
- Ensure Certificate of Inspection is always upheld and complies with all USCG navigation laws and regulations, compliance with F.D.A., CDC and other regulatory bodies affecting the vessel
- Insures that hull penetrations or any structural deformations or cracks get his/her personal and immediate attention
- Report any repairs or maintenance involving navigation equipment that needs onshore assistance and/or coordination for repair
- Advise of any Reportable Marine Casualty as per (46 CFR 4.05)
- With the assistance of the vessel’s Mates, ensure that all docking locations are secure and meet requirements set forth
- Make routine visual inspections of vessel for purpose of maintaining vessel security, sanitation and general cleanliness on a daily basis and completes thorough weekly inspections, and general cleanliness on a daily basis and completes thorough weekly inspections, documenting inspection results
- Ensure behavior and performance supports the company’s Mission; promotes year-round success of system
- Solicits feedback; takes action to continuously improve success of team
- Participate in all safety drills and training
- Performs other duties if required since above stated describe only a regular working day and may not be inclusive of every task needed to achieve results
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements:
- HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred in a related field
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- FCC Marine Radio Operations license
- Radar certification (endorsement necessary as per vessel)
- USCG license which satisfies the COI requirements for the applicable vessel (unlimited license for all vessels, except the American Empress which is a 500 Ton Master Inland license)
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) – if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid MMC
- Valid Driver’s License
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; must be fluent in English
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a pleasant and professional manner
- Must possess leadership qualities with the ability to give employees sound instruction and direction
- Five to ten years of experience in a position with similar duties and responsibilities
- Cruise industry experience preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
Our Values- RESPECT
At Hornblower Group and American Queen Steamboat Company, our mission is to create amazing experiences – not only for our guests, but our employees. Our company values (RESPECT) and operating principles (Hornblower 12) allow us to live out our mission of creating amazing experiences.
RESPECT stands for: Respect, Environment, Safety First, Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork. Our Operating Principles, known as the Hornblower 12 demonstrate the ways we promise to engage to live those values:
- We treat others – guests and fellow crew members alike – with Respect, by fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
- We are stewards of the Environment through practicing conservation, protection and education.
- We believe in Safety First by creating and maintaining a safe and secure workplace.
- We are Professional, and will demonstrate that in the following ways:
- We are on time – to start and stop – and we come prepared.
- We make objective data- and logic-based decisions with limited emotion.
- We prioritize by making difficult trade-offs and fast, quality decisions. We follow the 80:100 rule, making decisions that are at least 80% right, but 100% actionable.
- We Exceed expectations, embracing these principles:
- As employees, we expect to win, but always prepare and passionately compete like an underdog.
- We strive to innovate and reinvent, always looking forward and not stuck in the past.
- We value Communication, by following guiding principles:
- We listen to each other – fellow crew members and guests – and are responsive, vehemently following the 24-hour rule.
- We are transparent and efficient in our processes and do not entertain politics and bureaucracy.
Teamwork helps drive us towards success, and together we embody teamwork by:
- We function as a team, playing our role and trusting our teammates.
- We work hard but have fun and don’t take ourselves too seriously.
- And most importantly, we take the time to recognize and celebrate our successes together under the Hornblower family!
American Queen Steamboat Company is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, the Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.