• Responsible for developing new Merchant Services business and servicing existing clients.
• Build and maintain business partnerships with Commercial Relationship Managers and Treasury Management Consultants to develop sales opportunities with prospects and / or existing M&T Bank clients.Nature and Scope:
• The position reports to the Merchant Regional Sales Manager and is responsible for actively contributing to the development, expansion and maintenance of the Bank's Merchant Services business.
• The position requires a strong understanding of merchant risk with demonstrated proficiency in determining and responding to risk levels of prospect and existing clientsEssential Position Responsibilities:
• Call, in person and via telephone, prospective clients to develop new merchant services business.
• Work with Relationship Managers and Treasury Management Consultants to sell Merchant Services.
• Keep business partners abreast of sales activities and pipeline status.
• Provide timely implementation of new accounts won by accurate and thorough completion of required documentation.
• Identify cross sell opportunities and refer business to internal partners.
• Manage merchant risk in underwriting and account maintenance efforts.
• Determine and respond to risk levels of prospective and existing clients.
• Prepare Merchant Services sales presentations and proposals to present product benefits and M&T Bank's value proposition.
• Participate in pricing decisions and recommend pricing in accordance with Bank policies.
• Assist Sales Manager in executing sales strategies and in meeting department goals.
• Perform ongoing training of business partners on products in order to increase their effectiveness as referral sources.
• Maintain departmental reports utilizing Enterprise Relationship Management (ERM).Minimum Qualifications Required:
• Bachelor's degree and 3 years Commercial Payments Sales experience or comparable banking experience or in lieu of a degree a combined minimum of 7 years higher education and or work experience including 3 years Commercial Payments Sales experience or comparable banking experience.
• Technical aptitude to comprehend merchant equipment and software.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong sales aptitude with a strong comfort level for performing in a results-oriented atmosphere.
• Highly organized and self-motivated with the proven ability to function in an independent and professional manner.
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
• Strong analytical, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
• Ability to travel within assigned territory up to 50% of time.Ideal Qualifications Preferred:
• Bachelor's degree level of education or higher.
• 5-7 years Merchant experience strongly preferred.
• Expert consultative sales skills.
• Ability to deliver dynamic presentations to business clients.
• Ability to make effective sales presentations that win client business, based on your recommendations.
• Experience in working within a referral partnership to successfully uncover ongoing new sales opportunities.
• Technical aptitude specific to the Middle Market/Commercial Merchant landscape (specifically experience with ecommerce solutions/gateways/ERP system integrations etc.)
• Consistent achievement of meeting business financial expectations.
• Experience responding to RFPs.
• Resourceful and "problem solver" mentality.
• A proactive mindset.
• Self-starter and with a highly motivated personality.
• Current experience in a similar merchant services sales role with a large financial institution.
• Current experience in the position's geographic region.
• We encourage candidates with relevant military experience to apply.
Complex Problem Solving
Customer Relationship Management