Independent Electric Supply, Inc. (IES) opened in 1976 with ten employees to serve electrical contractors working in the high-tech aerospace industry. Today, IES operates 16 electrical supply branches in the Northern California area, San Francisco Bay area, Central Valley, Central Coast and 7 locations throughout Arizona. IES focuses on traditional electrical supply with dedicated specialists in lighting, switchgear, wire management, tool & safety, renewable energy and enhance logistics solutions to meet specific customer needs. Employing more than 525 people and managing over 1 million square feet of warehouse space, IES is one of the strongest electrical distributors in the markets we serve.
In August 2011, IES was acquired by Sonepar USA consisting of the finest locally managed electrical and industrial distributors throughout the United States. Sonepar is the world leader in electrical distribution.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Counter Sales person sells merchandise to individuals in store or showroom by processing orders from customers, using all required company policies, procedures and systems in an expeditious manner.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Greets customers on sales floor.
- Practices good interpersonal relations, using tact, courtesy, a positive attitude toward customers and co-workers, pleasant telephone etiquette.
- Displays merchandise, suggests selections that meet customer's needs, and emphasizes selling points of article such as quality and utility.
- Recommends additional products related to customer needs.
- Handles difficulties with customers and coworkers with diplomacy and seeks assistance when needed.
- Resolves customer order problems and complaints promptly.
- Acquires, uses, and continuously develops personal technical knowledge of general and specialty merchandise items to assist customers and other company personnel.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED), one – two years desired from a two-year college; and one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and metric scales.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Possess in depth knowledge of IES computer systems.
- Must be a team player and abide by IES’s strong core values and beliefs.
Through previous background and experience, the candidate must be able to demonstrate, with or without an accommodation:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Operate Forklift, equipment such as pallet jacks. Climb ladders, Squatting-Bending.
Supervisory Responsibility, work environment and physical demands
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- This position has no supervisory responsibility.
- This position works in a normal office environment as well as a warehouse environment, with standard office equipment. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. while working in the office. The noise level in the warehouse environment is usually moderate and temperature can change based on the season. This position also requires frequent travel to customer sites, which can be in a variety of environments including outdoor with inclement weather.
- Work is sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking for up to 60% of the time.
- Work can involve the operation of forklift, equipment such as pallet jacks and climb ladders; bend, stoop, lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must have excellent presentation and communication skills
- Must be able to work independently
- Must have a valid driver''s license and acceptable motor vehicle record
- Ability to communicate with the customer, customer service reps and account reps in a professional manner
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must have good computer skills with knowledge of MS Office software
- Ability to lift 50 pounds