Sparton is a world leader in the design, development, testing and production of complex maritime electronic systems, including sonobuoys in support of Anti-Submarine Warfare, submarine deployed products supporting Undersea Warfare, and depth-rated encapsulated systems to support Subsea and Seabed Warfare.
Software Quality Engineer will be responsible to oversee the entire development process, which includes software testing, from start to finish. The primary purpose of Software Quality Assurance is to ensure that software development is performed according to documented procedures and plans, to test and evaluate the software to ensure that it functions correctly, is reliable and robust and provide quality inputs to the software development process.
- Develops and writes quality plans, test schedules and appropriate procedures to support the RTE Project/Software Development Life Cycle Process.
- Develops and writes procedures for software functional, integration, stress, performance, system and regression testing.
- Document issues using issue trackers such as Jira and track those issues to resolution.
- Verify that all customer requirements involving software are properly traced to lower level documentation and test cases.
- Review software documentation for completeness and correctness.
- Evaluate and test software applications for usability and functionality.
- Evaluate, test and validate production test software applications.
- Performs hardware/software/firmware installation and upgrades.
- Develops and writes automated testing scripts using Labview, C, and Python.
- Conducts testing on all software products utilizing systems analysis techniques and procedures.
- Participates in design reviews and customer meetings to assure quality systems requirements are met.
- Designs test equipment and methods when required; identifies requirements, equipment and resources needed to complete testing and verification / validation activities; investigates failures to meet acceptance criteria; maintains integrity of original data during verification / validation studies; assures statistical relevance of all studies.
- Monitors quality assurance processes and procedures in software and product development under the guidance of the Quality Assurance Manager.
- Monitors quality assurance processes and procedures in software and product development under the guidance of the Director of Quality.
- Provides analytical and technical support to the Quality Assurance organization, design engineering and other related groups to implement quality assurance and reliability programs.
- Prepares and institutes test methods and procedures, exercises surveillance over assigned areas and establishes inspection and test procedures.
- Independently investigates and analyzes quality assurance and reliability issues, initiates preventive and/or corrective action and develops new or improved techniques consistent with quality, effectiveness, and economic requirements. Keeps management informed as appropriate.
- Provides assurance and appropriate supporting objective evidence that software projects and processes conform to specified requirements and that they adhere to established plans. Informs management of possible concerns.
- In concert with the Test Technicians develops and executes advanced activities to assure the quality and integrity of all software, firmware and hardware products. Documents the outputs of such activities as appropriate.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Quality or their designee, monitors software and product development quality assurance processes. Keeps management and customer informed according to project requirements conjunction with design and development engineering and other Quality Assurance engineers, reviews specifications and design goals and jointly resolves design problems including test methods and procedures to insure that specifications are consistent with process capabilities and functional/software requirements.
- Investigates quality problems, analyzes failures and, recommends corrective action to effect remediation. Recommends preventive action to prevent reoccurrence. Keeps management informed of problem areas.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in the field; applies advanced engineering and quality assurance knowledge to the development of new or improved inspection and testing methods, consistent with reliability, effectiveness requirements and objectives.
- Participates as a Quality Assurance representative on project teams.
- Assures process and documentation conforms to applicable AS, IEEE and or IEC standards and Quality Management System SOPs.
Required Education and Experience
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in Software Engineering, Information Technology or related field OR a combination of education and relevant experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a quality assurance role.
- Familiarity with requirements tracking tools such as DOORS and Jama.
- Familiarity with issue tracking tools such as Jira and Redmine.
- Familiarity with test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and power supplies.
- Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP), and AS9100 quality system knowledge and compliance experience.
- Demonstrated success in applying quality assurance principles and sound engineering judgement.
- Successful applications of expertise, analysis, ingenuity, and independent judgment to the resolution of software engineering problems.
- Problem solving tools/technique knowledge and application experience.
- Excellent customer service, facilitation, and interpersonal skills.
- Project Management Institute (PMMI)
- International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE)
- Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI)
- Rational Suite of Software Development Products and Tools
- AS9100 auditing experience
The physical demands describe here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk and communicate, use hands/finger, feel and reach with arms. This position requires the ability to lift, bend or stoop as necessary up to 20 lbs.
SPARTON provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training
Software Quality Assurance (Sqa)