Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people's lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you'll be part of
Nokia Bell Labs is the world-renowned research arm of Nokia, having invented many of the foundational technologies that underpin information and communications networks and all digital devices and systems. This research has produced nine Nobel Prizes, five Turing Awards and numerous other awards.
Nokia Bell Labs NAR (Network Architecture Research) Lab drives innovations across multiple network layers and across all network segments, including access, metro, transport, and data centers. The research is expected to identify new opportunities for monetization, sustainability, performance improvement, and our customers' total-cost-of-ownership optimization. We are looking for a strong and enthusiastic candidate to join an excellent research lab.
What you will learn and contribute to
We are looking for a passionate innovation-oriented senior research engineer, eager to develop a deep understanding of industry trends and novel architecture and technology roadmaps to shape the future of networks. The research will anticipate paradigm shifts like cloudified networks, programmable networking, and new deployment models, such as network as a service.
* Develop and analyze architecture, feature, and protocol evolution for the future network architecture, ensuring end-to-end coherence of features, including seamless cross-domain interaction within network domains.
* Pro-actively identify emerging topics in network architecture research, drive internal discussions on technical concepts for the end-to-end network architecture, and contribute to collaborative projects.
* Protect the generated intellectual property by patents, contribute to the implementation of patents in standards, review of inventions from others.
* Develop evaluation methodologies, proof of concepts to validate and examine new network architecture models using, e.g., C++ or Python.
Your skills and experience
* PhD degree or equivalent in experience in a relevant engineering field such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Mathematics from a leading college/university
* Strong knowledge of networking, system software, operating systems, distributed systems and good understanding of cloud technologies and trends
* Strong software development skills in Python, C/C++, shell scripting, Git
* Eagerness to build proof-of-concept systems for real and run experiments with first movers
* Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills, boundary-less and agile collaboration mindset
* Very strong analytical skills and eager to find innovative/disruptive solutions to problems.
Nice to Haves
* Knowledge of analytics and machine learning methods is a plus.
* Ability to switch between high-level systems view and low-level detail view of complex systems.
* Knowledge of containerization and orchestration technologies like Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Cloud Run, Anthos or other Hybrid Cloud technologies
What we offer
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
Company Culture: We believe our people are our greatest asset and we aim to foster a fun, challenging, positive, and inclusive work environment. We offer 1-on-1 mentorship, learning and development opportunities, global impact and interaction, and flexible work/life balance within a highly international team.
Team Culture: You will join a team of experts with in-depth knowledge in transport, fixed, and mobile networks, as well as network systems and security to define the next generation end-to-end network architecture. Our team is a cross-functional team and collaborates closely with other labs across Bell Labs as well as all business groups.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
* One of the World's Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
* Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
* Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
* LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia's employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.
* United States Salary Range: United States salary range: Annual base salary of $94,484 - $175,470 USD plus eligibility for incentive/variable pay. Nokia Maintains broad annual base salary ranges for its roles in order to account for variations in knowledge, skills, experience and market conditions, and with consideration to internal peer equity.
* United States Benefits: Nokia offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following: • Pension Plan - Cash Account Program • Medical and dental coverage • Short term disability and long-term disability • Life insurance and AD&D - Company paid 2x base pay • Supplemental life and AD&D insurance (Employee/Spouse/Child) • Health care and dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts • Pre-tax commuter and parking benefits • Savings/401(k) Plan • Paid time off for holidays and vacation • Employee Stock Purchase Plan • Tuition Assistance Plan • Adoption assistance • Employee Assistance Program/Work Life Resource Program • Voluntary benefits including vision, legal, auto & home Insurance, pet insurance, Identity Theft Protection Services, and Health Advisory Services" • Nokia Perks At Work
* Vaccination Requirements : FOR US ONLY: Nokia employees, wherever required by law or contractual obligation, must receive a COVID-19 vaccination or an otherwise approved accommodation based upon applicable law.
- Agile Methodology
- C++ (Programming Language)
- Cloud Computing
- Cloud Technologies