Level I: 0-3 years. Trainee level position. Specialized in Chemical Engineering and under Direct supervision, performs a variety of routine tasks that are planned to provide experience and familiarization with the engineering staff, methods, practices, and programs of the company. Using readily available clear and direct references to provide straightforward solutions to problems. Collecting and evaluating data, and developing plans for assignments that may involve design application.
The incumbent will support development of new glasses, glass tempering process and troubleshooting problems related to glass and tempering process. Responsibilities include performing appropriate physical / chemical tests on products and development materials, accurately, operating various laboratory equipment. Records data accurately on manual or computerized systems. Interprets and verbalize test results for communication. Informs management regarding non- conforming material or products. Applies all laboratory safety procedures. Participates in 5S activities. Complies with Health, Safety, and Environmental requirements at all times. Performs other tasks as assigned.
Main Activities/Key Responsibilities:
• Glass / ceramics lab melt / preparation
• Glass / ceramics sample preparation for characterization
• Assist / perform
• Physical property testing of glass/ceramic samples; i.e. hardness, light transmittance, stress profile, viscosity etc.
• Chemical characterization of glass/ceramics samples; i.e XRF, FTIR, ICP-MS, TGA, DSC
• Glass and tempering related production problem resolution
Degree (BS) in Chemical Engineering or Materials Science or Engineering. Coursework in Glass / Ceramics/Materials Science desired.
Experience: Previous academic or industrial experience in a laboratory, or previous industrial experience in product development are highly desirable.
Must have done internships in Glass / Ceramic Industry for at least one summer, preferably in the lab. Working knowledge of characterization equipment like UV-Vis-NIR spectrophotometer, FTIR, ICP-MS, XRF, Mechanical Testing etc., will be a plus.
Additional qualifications: Proficient in Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint…) suite. Preferably some data analysis knowledge with Excel or other software.
Functional and Technical Skills
• The ability to work both independently, and as part of a team.
• Must be observant, accurate, able to follow directions, and able to perform tasks in a clean, safe and timely manner.
• Must be able to lift over 25 pounds in order to handle materials.
• Must have interpersonal and communication skills necessary to effectively communicate with laboratory and plant personnel.
• Must be able to effectively read, write, and communicate in English.
• Must be able to effectively operate electronic, mechanical or manual laboratory equipment requiring precise adjustment of controls for valid results.
• Must be able to wear required PPE with or without reasonable accommodation.
Nesco Resource and affiliates (Lehigh G.I.T Inc, and Callos Resource, LLC) is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics with respect to employment opportunities.
- X Ray Fluorescence
- Hardness Tests
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy
- Microsoft Excel