City Experiences is seeking Sous Chefs for its City Cruises Operation in Washington D.C.
City Experiences’ passion is to provide amazing experiences on land and water. Our 40-
year success through organic growth and acquisitions has resulted in a portfolio of over
25+ brands that welcome upwards of 30 million guests/riders annually. If you’re an
enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication,
creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you.
About the Opportunity:
The Sous Chef, in conjunction with the Executive Chef, participates in managing back-of-the-house (BOH) cruise execution to ensure consistently high levels of quality, sanitation, service and guest satisfaction while maintaining a high level of profitability.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Act as the on-duty kitchen manager for cruises and manage kitchen staff to ensure adherence to procedures detailed in the Product Management Guide and Galley Operating Manual
- Ensure that all staff consistently follows and adheres to all health department sanitation codes and requirements thereby maintaining the Company’s strict standards of sanitation
- Maintain close liaison between the kitchen and other departments including the front-of-the house
- Recommend and execute approved programs that improve the level of service and product quality
- Execute other projects as assigned by management
Kitchen Team Management
- Recruit new kitchen staff when necessary to fill vacant positions
- Participate in training of all new kitchen staff
- Participate in scheduling kitchen staff according to staffing matrix
- Adhere to Company’s performance management guidelines for all discipline and termination situations
- Provide input to the Executive Chef and F&B Director with regard to the development/career growth plans for each kitchen staff members
- Recommend to the Kitchen Manager & F&B Director the promotion of kitchen staff members
- Develop positive working relationships with city department heads and peers
- Participate in the development of strong teamwork within the staff
- Help develop and execute shipmate incentive programs
- Ensure effective execution of each cruise (back-of-the house only) according to the specifications of the Product Management Guide so that guests receive a quality, seamless experience on each cruise
- Resolve guest service issues, in conjunction with the on-duty Restaurant Manager, utilizing strong guest service skills and exercising diplomacy in keeping with company objective of guest retention
- Participate in implementing and maintaining effective safety programs in conjunction with the Operations Department
- Maintain high standards of sanitation in accordance with Company standards and in accordance with health department codes & requirements
- Participate in monitoring and controlling all costs associated with the operation of the kitchen in accordance with budget
- Participate in the inventory process to ensure adequate stock
- Participate in purchasing all food products and cleaning supplies according to established procedures
- Participate in processing all invoices in a timely manner to maximize corporate rebate program.
- Participate in administering the payroll system including scheduling, checking, transmitting and processing
- Participate in maintaining food, suppliers and equipment purchasing systems, which ensure maximum quality, least cost and high reliability
- Participate in scheduling kitchen staff work periods to achieve maximum payroll efficiency
- Ensure that all state and local health requirements are met onboard and that all shipmates are familiar with these requirements
- Attend all scheduled meetings
- Operate all restaurant systems (PC, restaurant cost analysis software, etc.)
- Participates in fleet wide task forces as requested
- Additional job duties assigned
- High school or equivalent required
- Minimum of three (3) years of total kitchen experience in full-service/banquet, high volume environment
- At least one (1) year of kitchen staff management experience
- Minimum two (2) years formal culinary training OR two (2) years additional kitchen experience in a full-service/banquet, high volume environment
- ServSafe Certified
- Able to manage multiple priorities/tasks and prioritize appropriately
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Must be able to communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Ability to work in confined spaces and perform duties within extreme temperature ranges
- Must be able to stand, walk, and/or sit continuously perform essential functions for an extended period of time
- Must have hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations, distinguish product, taste, texture and presentation and observe preparation
- Physical requirements- Must have finger/hand dexterity in order to operate food machinery; must be able to lift, move, and/or carry items weighing a maximum of 200 lbs. on a continuous schedule
- Able to work with Microsoft Office applications (especially Word & Excel)
- Ability to read, write, and speak English to comprehend and communicate job functions
The RESPECT Service System embodies City Experiences’ mission, vision, values and operating principles. By creating a company culture that puts RESPECT at its core, we believe it will drive us to achieve our goal of becoming a Global Experiences and Transportation Leader.
City Experiences is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military status, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, City Experiences participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Pursuant to applicable State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.