This position will be filled at either the Santa Monica Corporate or the Phoenix Corporate locations.
The Real Estate Paralegal is responsible, under the guidance of the VP, Senior Real Estate Counsel, for the routine legal work for the company that arises after a lease is signed.
What You'll Do
* Prepare default notices, demand letters, termination notices, relocation notices, abandonment notices and all other notices required to enforce lease covenants.
* Correspond with tenants and their attorneys to resolve AR issues and other lease disputes.
* Perform due diligence reviews of leases interpreting relocation rights, repair obligations, options to extend, co-tenancy obligations, radius restrictions, no-build zones, termination rights, CAM language, exclusive uses and all other rights, remedies and controls of the parties to the lease.
* Prepare estoppel certificates and landlord lien waivers.
* Initiate and monitor eviction and breach of lease actions and matters sent to collection agencies.
* Prepare litigation evaluations, analyze collectability, pursue enforcement of judgments and assist with tenant bankruptcies.
* Respond to Subpoenas for the Company's business records and implement Legal Holds to retain and preserve documents in connection with claims, litigation and e-discovery.
* Negotiate and document settlements.
* Monitor resolution of mechanic's liens and foreclosure actions.
* All other duties as assigned.
Your Key Success Attributes
* Bachelor's degree required.
* Paralegal certificate from an ABA approved school.
* 3+ years' experience as a paralegal in a law firm or in-house, preferably in the areas of litigation, real estate and/or commercial landlord/tenant law.
* All applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of the position, including corresponding core job requirements, with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities (and others in accordance with applicable law) to perform the essential functions of the job, consistent with applicable laws and Company policy.
Estimated compensation for this position is:
$90K - $105K (Annual) + Bonus eligibility
The salary listed is an estimate and not guaranteed. A salary offer will vary based on applicant education, experience, skills, abilities, geographic location, internal equity, and alignment to market data.
Our Culture of Belonging
At Macerich, we are committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. We believe our diversity creates value for our employees, workplaces and town centers, and the communities we serve.
We strive to hire great people from diverse backgrounds, and we are stronger for it. We want our employees to thrive, feel valued and respected, and therefore encourage a culture of learning, acknowledging, and celebrating individual uniqueness. We are proud of our practices and the equal opportunity for employment and advancement we foster across the organization.
In support of our culture of belonging, Macerich welcomes qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, pregnancy (including childbirth and pregnancy-related medical conditions), sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected under federal, state, or local law. Additional information is contained in Macerich's Anti-Harassment, Discrimination and Retaliation Policy, which can be provided to applicants upon request. Macerich also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the application process or your employment, please contact Human Resources.
Join our team of great people!
- Claim Processing
- Real Estates