Screen reader users may encounter difficulty with this site. For assistance with applying, please contact [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Assistant Director of Outreach and Events
. If you have questions while submitting an application, please review these frequently asked questions.
Current Employees and Students:
If you are currently employed or enrolled as a student at The Ohio State University, please log in to Workday to use the internal application process.
Welcome to The Ohio State University's career site. We invite you to apply to positions of interest. In order to ensure your application is complete, you must complete the following:
* Ensure you have all necessary documents available when starting the application process. You can review the additional job description section on postings for documents that may be required.
* Prior to submitting your application, please review and update (if necessary) the information in your candidate profile as it will transfer to your application.
Assistant Director of Outreach and Events
Administration and Planning | WOSU Public Media
WOSU Public Media seeks an Assistant Director of Outreach and Events to lead the event and rental sales with a focus on increasing revenue via the Ross Community Studio and other WOSU Headquarters spaces at The Ohio State University.
The ideal candidate will have direct experience in live events management, event planning, logistics and implementation, rental sales/sales, as well as general marketing knowledge. As a member of the Marketing and Communications team, this position plays a vital role in the engagement mission of WOSU Public Media and its departments. Under the direction of the senior director of marketing & communications, this position will have primary responsibility for events and event revenue generation in the Ross Community Studio, which provides a space for engagement with the general public through kids' events, seminars, performances, panel discussions, receptions, film screenings, and much more.
* Work with the senior director of marketing and communications of WOSU to create rental sales, policies, and procedures, as well as marketing strategies and initiatives.
* Generate new business leads, develops sales materials, and negotiate contracts.
* Supervise events staff, contractors, and student employees (e.g. trains coaches and maintains systems).
* Manage policies and procedures for consistent booking standards generating and managing revenue tracking sales leads and attaining financial goals.
* Develop, market, and execute special events.
* Focus on community outreach and relationship building to develop rental sales pipeline of prospective clients and maintains a portfolio of active event client relationships.
* Maintain knowledge of competitive rental spaces in Central Ohio.
* Represent WOSU to the broader university community through participation in inter-university networks and local community organizations and committees.
* Maintain a working knowledge of operations and efficiencies leading to profitable operations.
* Provide revenue forecasts and projections reports.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* The role is primarily hands-on and involves working collaboratively as part of a team.
* The nature of the position necessitates flexibility with work hours, often requiring time above and outside of normal business hours, regularly including nights and weekends.
* Physical requirements include being able to lift 25-50 pounds in moving events-related equipment, tables, chairs, backdrops, signage, or others.
The Assistant Director of Outreach and Events is responsible for various facets of event planning and implementation including but not limited to:
* Maintain and publish a calendar of events.
* Liaise with internal and external clients on exact event requirements and briefing staff on events.
* Assist with promoting live events on and off campus and within the building and produce detailed proposals (timelines, suppliers, legal obligations, staffing, budgets, etc.).
* Negotiate contracts and submit forms and permits and manage vendors, suppliers, and caterers.
* Run A/V and lighting.
* Conduct post-event evaluations to inform future events.
* Research opportunities for new clients and events, setup, teardown, etc.
* Work closely with OSU, this position will lead and train student volunteers.
* Minimum of 4 years relevant experience either paid or voluntary in an events-related field.
* Project management experience.
* Time management and organization skills, with keen attention to detail and willingness to maintain immaculate records.
* Consistently follow up and follow through on commitments.
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills and adaptable communication style for interacting with team members, upper management, student volunteers, and the public.
* Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicts, problem-solve, and at all times present a professional face of the organization to the community.
* Manage and coordinate suppliers.
* Experience with in-person, virtual, and hybrid events, and events of differing size and complexity.
* Leadership experience such as directing interns or volunteers.
* Negotiation skills.
* Ability to manage budgets.
* Self-motivation and enthusiasm Broadcast experience and knowledge of audiovisual technology is a plus.
* Events-specific certifications, such as Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) or Certified Special Events Professions (CSEP), is a plus.
The Ohio State University is a dynamic community of diverse resources, where opportunity thrives and where individuals transform themselves and the world.
The Ohio State University is one of the nation's largest and most comprehensive public universities and a top employer in Ohio.
As an Ohio State employee, you will also have access to many benefits such as:
Retirement Package choice of OPERS or Alternative Retirement Plan
Competitive Vacation and Sick Leave Program
11 Paid Holidays per year
Dental and Vision Insurance
Opportunity to purchase season tickets to OSU sporting events
Additional discounted rates on things such as select cell phone plans, pet care, food, dining, etc.
The Target Salary Range: $62,700 - $83,600
Ohio State is focused on enhancing the health and safety of our community. Therefore, the university is requiring every student, faculty and staff member to be compliant with Ohio State's COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
By the start of employment, all newly hired employees must receive at least the first dose of a two-dose series or a single dose of a one-dose series COVID-19 vaccination. Individuals who choose a two-dose series vaccination must receive the second dose within 45 days of their start date. Proof of vaccination will be required at time of hire.
Candidates may request a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination requirement. Campus employees may also request an exemption for personal reasons. Ohio State Wexner Medical Center, College of Medicine or OSUP Employees are not eligible for personal exemptions. All exemptions are subject to Ohio State's approval and subject to change, including revocation, due to legal and regulatory requirements.
Final candidates are subject to successful completion of a background check. A drug screen or physical may be required during the post offer process.
Thank you for your interest in positions at The Ohio State University and Wexner Medical Center. Once you have applied, the most updated information on the status of your application can be found by visiting the Candidate Home section of this site. Please view your submitted applications by logging in and reviewing your status. For answers to additional questions please review the frequently asked questions.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, protected veteran status, or any other basis under the law.
Applicants are encouraged to complete and submit the Equal Employment Identification form.
- Attention To Detail
- Certified Meeting Professional