To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Washington, DC
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Lead Pathologist Assistant
George Washington Medical Faculty Associates • Washington, DC
Posted 7 days ago
A LeadPathologists’ Assistant provides anatomic pathology services under the direction and supervision of an attending pathologist. A Sr. Pathologists’ Assistant is qualified to perform gross dissection, description, and submission of tissue specimens for surgical pathology examination, preparation of tissue specimens for intraoperative consultation/frozen section examination, and dissection and examination of organs and tissues during autopsy examination. In addition, the Lead Pathologists’ Assistant organizes and oversees the work of other pathologists’ assistants in the performance of the above duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform gross dissection, description, and submission of tissue specimens for histologic processing and surgical pathology examination
- Provide a detailed and accurate description of tissue specimens using an electronic dictation system
- Perform gross dissection, description, and preparation of tissue specimens for intraoperative consultation/frozen section examination, including preparation of cryostat sections and smears/imprints and staining of slides for microscopic examination
- Preparation and submission of tissue specimens and other biological specimens for special laboratory studies, including flow cytometric and molecular analyses
- Perform dissection and examination of organs and tissues during autopsy examination
- Prepare for autopsy examination by obtaining patients’ medical records and arranging for radiographic examinations
- Perform gross and microscopic photography of specimens
- Participate in the teaching of pathology residents in gross tissue dissection and description techniques, intraoperative consultation/frozen section examination, and autopsy dissection and examination
- Assist in preparation of materials for educational conferences
- Assist with departmental quality assurance/quality improvement activities and compliance with all CLIA, CAP, TJC, and DC DOH standards
- Clean and maintain surgical pathology, autopsy, and other equipment.
- Perform duties relating to the administrative maintenance of surgical pathology protocols, procedures, reports, and data
- Assist in standardizing and implementing new protocols and procedures, as necessary.
- Organize and oversee the work of other pathologists’ assistants in the performance of the above duties
- Assist in the performance evaluation of other pathologists’ assistants in the department
- Assist in the recruitment and selection of pathologists’ assistants to fill vacant positions in the department
- May be exposed to disagreeable odors and infectious diseases; therefore, must take proper safety precautions necessary to protect health and wellbeing.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Master of Science degree from a NAACLS-accredited Pathologists’ Assistant training program. Certification as a Pathologists’ Assistant by the American Society of Clinical Pathology
Experience: Minimum of 3 years.