Eaton Research Labs (ERL) is currently seeking for a Power Distribution Engineer - Grid Intelligence Technology Leader to join our Energy Systems team. This position is based at our Golden, CO location or can be worked remotely as well. Relocation assistance will be provided.
The primary role of this position is to lead technology strategy and execution for modern power grid solutions in North America and work with global teams to advance the regional requirements.
Eaton is a power management company made up of over 92,000 employees, doing business in more than 175 countries. The ERL is a corporate R&D function within Eaton's Chief Technology Office. responsible for innovative and breakthrough technology development and commercialization for Eaton products and service solutions. This position will lead research and development in novel data-driven power system protection solution with respect to challenges of climate change, cyber threats, and impact by ever-growing Distributed Energy Resources (DER) and smart loads. This technical leader will report to global technology manager and help identify key technical gaps and influence technology roadmap for power systems products and services. This work will help businesses across Eaton solve critical business problems and uncover new business opportunities.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this role you will:
- Lead complex global technology programs/projects involving multiple stakeholders external to Eaton utilizing our internal project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews. (external stakeholders include universities, National Labs, government entities, manufacturing partners, etc.)
- Create innovative power distribution automation solutions. Implement state-of-the-art concepts and solutions into quick prototypes, feasibility studies, specifications, and eventually into larger systems and product components.
- Innovate, invent and challenge state-of-art design & process by securing IPs through patents and publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- Lead the development of strategies for technology roadmaps for specific applications that are linked to and supportive of the overall ERL and business strategies.
- Initiate and develop solid relationships with both engineering and business leaders within Eaton to drive strong business cases for new commercial applications and acquire needed resources and funding.
- Serve as Principal Investigator in government and non-government proposal preparation and/or project execution of large projects.
- Serve as a subject matter expert externally and internally. This includes leadership/active participation in external industry and technical groups, mentoring junior level staff and consulting internal business and engineering partners.
- Serve as a key participant in department and ERL process improvements
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger. Qualifications
- PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited Institution
- 5+ years of highly relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated strong experience in developing and designing technology solutions for power systems protection and distribution automation.
- Ability to perform complex engineering calculations and analyses by using state-of-the-art simulation and modeling techniques.
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- 7+ years of experience in power system protection, control and health monitoring.
- Experience with various sensing technologies to enhance observability and controllability of modern power grid such as optical-based powerline sensor, microPMU, thermal imaging camera, etc.
- Experience with implementation of new technologies for one or more of power system protection, control and monitoring systems (FLISR, AMI, integrated Volt/VAR control, adaptive protection, etc.)
- Experience in project-based development (including lean software development) and work in matrixed organization
- Experience in developing on-premise and/or cloud-based data-driven methods for power system applications
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to lead engineering teams to high value solutions
- Familiar with IEEE, IEC standards and industry reliability standards
- Strong software/hardware development skills for rapid prototyping
- Business acumen with proven record of formulating value proposition and creating intellectual property
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Proven track record in taking technologies from concepts to validated product applications.
- Strong technical publication and invention record
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
Eaton provides a competitive total rewards package commensurate with applicable skills, knowledge, and experience and consistent with internal and external market practices. The annual salary range for this role is $114,000 - $156,750 a year
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Indeed Sponsored Job: IND123-SBengineering
Coaching And Mentoring
Process Improvements (Business)