GAF Energy is transforming the rooftop solar industry to generate Energy From Every Roof TM. As a Standard Industries company, GAF Energy works in partnership with North America’s largest roofing and waterproofing manufacturer, GAF, offering affordable, integrated and aesthetic rooftop solar options to residential and commercial customers. For more information about GAF Energy, visit URL blocked - click to apply.
What part will you play?
- GAF Energy is seeking a Prototype Shop Manager to help develop novel new products that harvest energy from rooftops and delivers ultimate customer satisfaction
- This exciting role will report to the Director, Product Development & Engineering, and work within a cross-functional team to develop products. The ideal candidate must have a great understanding of rapid prototyping fabrication methods of all types and be interested and capable of making new things of great variety. With outstanding technical acumen, attention to detail and strong hands-on skills, this person can help us protect what matters most
- This person will be responsible for building, managing and maintaining a shop and for producing prototypes of new designs for GAF Energy’s suite of products
What will you be doing?
- Making prototypes to prove out new concepts in quick iteration cycles
- Operating equipment including water jet, CNC mill, CNC lathe, manual mill, manual lathe, 3D printers, TIG & MIG welder, sheet metal break, shears, laminators, band saws, grinders and more
- Using hand tools and processes including soldering irons, heat guns, epoxies, fiberglass, etc.
- Maintaining the shop and equipment to high standards in order to ensure a safe and highly productive work space
- Simultaneously managing multiple projects from multiple requesters
- Collaborating with the engineering team to determine manufacturability and methods to enable rapid prototyping and large volume production
- Building complex tooling as necessary
- Measuring and inspecting prototypes using calipers, micrometers, etc., to ensure parts meet specification
- Packaging and/or assembling parts for evaluation and testing
- Managing and training technicians as-needed
- Implementing continuous improvements and best practices within the shop and recommending new equipment to expand capabilities
- Communicating clearly and effectively with internal and external functional teams–orally, in written form, and via presentations
What do we require from you?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering or 6+ years of experience in fabricating a diverse number of things
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external functional teams verbally, in writing, and via presentations
- Excellent coordination, organization, and planning skills
- Strong project management skills with the ability to deliver result in a timely manner
- Ability to work within a cross-functional team to drive innovation and product development as well as understanding and implementing needs
- Creativity & problem solving skills
- Eager to continue to learn and improve technical, communication and collaboration skills
- Comfortable working as a team player in a start-up environment where no job is too small