Senior Accountant - Temporary Assignment
Telecommute from Oregon, Washington, Idaho or Utah
The Senior Accountant (Accountant Sr I) is responsible for complex and comprehensive general or cost accounting activities or functions which can include the review, analysis, and verification. Provides support and coordination for the development and implementation of financial policies, procedures and controls. Assumes a lead role in the external audit as well as the maintenance and operation of complex financial systems to insure their integrity.
General Functions and Outcomes
* Duties can include one or more of the following:
* Reviews financial statements, journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, account analysis, and statutory filings.
* Oversight and preparation of monthly corporate and subsidiary financial statements (both GAAP and Statutory) by ensuring accurate and timely data entry of financial information from various system and manual sources. Reviews, analyzes, investigates and reports on monthly financial statement results, including significant fluctuations between financial statements of different periods.
* Researches and reports on current and proposed accounting, auditing and regulatory standards, guides and other pronouncements. Presents impacts and implications to management. Provides guidance and helps develop implementation plans as new rules and regulations become effective.
* Prepares and presents ad-hoc analysis to Senior Management on a variety of complex Company historic and proposed activities, including implications for current and future operations.
* Coordinates the administration and operation of complex financial systems; participates in and helps direct the design, development, testing and implementation of financial system updates and enhancements.
* Reviews and analyzes administrative cost and budget reports, including line of business reports and variances to budgets and forecasts, while providing insights, impacts and implications for current and future operations.
* Performs oversight and analysis on operating cost trends and allocations; proposes and implements updates to allocation tables as appropriate.
* Provides financial assistance and support on complex corporate projects, including mergers, system conversions, and new product development.
* Participates in and helps direct the development, implementation and revision of financial policies, procedures, systems and practices that are a part of the Company's set of internal controls.
* Helps oversee the preparation of audit schedules used in the audit examination. Investigates and resolves any unusual transactions or activities. Works closely with internal and external auditors to ensure timely completion of audits, resolving questions or audit issues as they arise.
* Assists, supports, trains and directs Accountants I, II and III in daily activities, including the preparation of monthly balance sheet account reconciliations, analyses, journal entries, financial reports, and collection of data, including coordination with other Company departments to resolve inaccuracies or discrepancies as necessary.
* Works directly with outside consultants, bankers, brokers, regulators and customers on financial and accounting issues.
* Assists in the coordination of the monthly close with other team members.
* Leads small groups/teams on small projects.
* Ensures team member's assigned tasks are completed timely and accurately, can provide effective feedback on technical performance.
* Based on area of expertise, demonstrated application of in-depth and complex accounting knowledge in the following areas is necessary:
* Financial Reporting and General Accounting: Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) for Health Care Service Contractors and Health Maintenance Organizations as promulgated by the NAIC.
* Cost Accounting: Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR); GAAP and SAP.
* Government Accounting: FEHBAR, FAR, CAS, GAAP
* Proven leadership abilities as demonstrated by successfully managing projects, leading cross-functional teams, training and process improvement.
* In-depth knowledge and understanding of financial analysis and contract administration, including such areas as budgets, forecasting, strategic plans, internal controls, treasury and financial management.
* Demonstrated ability to plan and organize work, projects, and the work of others in the department, with minimal supervision.
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment with all levels of staff and management, while providing in-depth analysis and recommendations using critical thinking and sound judgement.
* Demonstrated ability in delivering effective presentations to stakeholders and/or leadership.
* Demonstrated strong proficiency with relevant technology and applications, including Excel.
* Exceptional verbal and written communications with all levels in the organization.
* Ability to prepare team or department-wide trainings.
* Demonstrated success with research and analysis, and review and writing of professional research papers.
* Ability to delegate and assign responsibility for tasks, set clear objectives and measures and monitor work, assess progress, evaluate results and provide feedback to others.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above
The Accountant Sr I would have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business and 3 to 5 years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA, CMA or MBA preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A background check is required.
If you need accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please email [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Senior Accountant
- Bank Reconciliation
- Business Process Improvement
- Contract Management