Job Title: Civil Engineer (PE)
BASIC FUNCTION SUMMARY
- Lead civil engineering-related tasks of project teams to ensure successful project completion
- Reviews drawings, specifications, schedules and cost estimates for design projects.
- Directs inspectors in construction management activities. Solves construction issues.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to other engineers and engineering technicians.
- Ensures engineering standards for facilities construction are met.
- Evaluates plans/criteria and completes special analyses supporting engineering efforts accomplished by others. Provides technical expertise on a variety of engineering activities.
- Liaises with customers and supervisors to plan, manage, design and supervise the construction of projects. Is customer oriented.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Work with customer/supervisor to determine project details, such as scope and timing of work, phasing requirements, plan preparation, acceptance issues, special conditions, or other matters.
- Assess customer needs/requirements and analyze proposed site factors to scope work and prepare concept design strategies.
- Investigate existing conditions of structures or systems to assess their adequacy/suitability for use and intended purpose.
- Determine or analyze and confirm material quantities, labor requirements and other factors, and use such information in preparing detailed, accurate projections of construction costs. Prepare documents presenting costs for use in programming projects, preparing budgeting plans and assessing validity of contractor bids.
- Prepare detailed statements of work for construction projects.
- Participate in contract solicitation, bid review, award, and pre-work activities. Assure contract documents (e.g. signed drawings, purchase requests, submittal listings, etc.) are promptly prepared, executed and delivered.
- Review, analyze, and comment on construction subcontractor site surveys and facility requirements documents (FRD); perform follow-up as necessary to ensure final products meet contractual requirements and contractor proposed solutions.
- Assist project manager and construction subcontractor(s) in preparation of and participate in preliminary design reviews (PDR) and critical design reviews (CDR); ensure actions resulting from PDRs and CDRs are addressed on time and to the required level of detail.
- Provide oversight of subcontractor design, construction and related sustainment work.
- Assists project manager track subcontractor design/permits and progress in foreign countries.
- Review contract submittals for compliance with contract specifications. Inspect project site and evaluate contractor compliance with contract requirements. Oversee activities of project inspectors to assure regular and accurate daily inspection of contractor work.
- Translate and provide subcontractor data and information to project controls lead to ensure accurate tracking of project schedule, cost and related deliverables.
- Develop plans for installation of systems, utilization of facilities, or construction of structures that comply with programmed scope and costs. Determine work classification of project scope and work with contract programmers on issues arising from such determinations.
- Ensure drawings receive required official seal(s) from licensed engineers/architects.
- Assure complete and appropriate project closeout, including fiscal closeout, as-built and record drawing completion, etc.
- Provide input to the Base Community Planner in development of the General Plan. Collaborate with the Community Planner, Contract Programmer and shop craftsmen in developing long range infrastructure plans. Provides expertise in prioritization of work in preparing those plans.
- Prepare reports and document project activities and data.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering
- Ten (10) years design experience and graduate degree work preferred.
- Possess analytical abilities necessary to handle extremely complex administrative, organizational, and contract matters.
- Have an intermediate knowledge of computers—able to input and extract data, prepare briefings, transmit documents.
- Possess excellent oral, written, and communication skills; Able to address a variety of audiences.
- Able to give attention to detail and execute on multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to deal with customers and company employees in a courteous, professional, and effective manner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This classification’s activities range from, an office environment with extended sitting demands to a field environment with climbing, standing, stooping, bending, pushing, kneeling, stretching, and walking demands. May occasionally be required to lift objects whose weight exceeds 30 pounds. Special vision abilities to perform this job are close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus.
The diversity of work conditions may range from an office environment where there is little or no physical discomfort to a field environment where inclement weather may subject the individual to severe changes in temperature, wind, rain, etc. May be required to work in areas where high noise hazards prevail. May be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, and electrical shock hazards. May be required to work a flexible work schedule and alternating work days to meet mission and customer requirements.
Occasional international travel of short-durations may be required
LICENSING, CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Professional Engineer License (PE)