This R&D position is primarily responsible for the planning and execution of pilot-scale manufacturing process to transition the development of new products from formulation to manufacturing for the Food, Excipients and Nutrition segments. The position is also responsible for working on improving current processes, evaluating new technology, and transferring current products to different manufacturing sites including outside tolling. The position will create, document, and implement a technology transfer process according to industry standards and best practices.
* Under the direction of the R&D Manager, safely operate and maintain the pilot plant equipment
* Develop, document, and manage a technology transfer process to effectively scale up newly developed products, implement process changes, or facilitate changes in manufacturing location
* Manage the transfer of new products between bench to pilot to production scale trials including experimental design, execution, physical/analytical testing, quantitative analysis, and interpretation
* Work very close with the formulating scientist from early development of the project to help determine potential quality and process concerns
* Lead and drive to completion NPD projects through the SPARC (Stage-Gate) process
* Lead the development of in-process testing for new products
* Support Quality and Operations through involvement in operational root cause analysis and Corrective and Preventative Action (CAPA) projects and raw material qualifications
* Work effectively on cross-functional teams involving Sales, Commercial, Finance, QA/QC, Supply Chain, etc. to develop new products
* Work with Finance to build cost models during scale up, trials at co-mans/tollers, etc.
* Commitment to Safety
* Follow all environmental, health and safety protocols
* Provide support for all safety and environmental initiatives
* Proactively attempt to prevent all accidents and eliminate all unsafe conditions
* Demonstrates management's commitment to safety
Required Education and Experience
* B.S. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related degree
* Experience: 3 - 5 years' experience in product development and process engineering in a manufacturing environment, ideally with experience in food or nutritional ingredients
* Prior experience in continuous improvement initiatives is a plus
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Strong knowledge in powders, blending and mixing and storage stability
* Strong knowledge of chemical reactions, dispersions, and process controls
* Knowledge of production operation, including equipment, materials, workflow, etc.
* Strong understanding of chemical processing concepts including heat transfer, mass flow, instrumental and statistical analysis
* Familiar with design of experiments and statistical analysis
* Ability to work with cross-functional teams and independently
* Must demonstrate ability to trouble shoot process and equipment issues
* Demonstrate ability to prioritize and manage complex projects
* Strong communication skills both written and verbal
* MS Office proficiency: Excel, PowerPoint, Word
* Willingness to travel up to 25%; possible more initially to support scale up and manufacturing
Innophos is a leading international producer of specialty ingredient solutions that deliver far-reaching, versatile benefits for the food, health, nutrition and industrial markets. We leverage our expertise in the science and technology of blending and formulating phosphate, mineral and botanical based ingredients for our customers.
Our people are the heart of our organization and the foundation of our success. We are driven by our core values of safety, diversity, integrity and collaboration.
Headquartered in Cranbury, New Jersey, Innophos has manufacturing operations across the United States, in Canada, Mexico and China and sells into over 70 countries.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
- Business Process Improvement
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Reaction Engineering