Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
- Provide Engineering expertise in the development of product evaluations and testing to ensure compliance with all quality, performance, safety and reliability standards.
- Provide timely and direct technical support to all Private Brand customers.
- Evaluate moderately complex products for compliance with performance, quality, reliability, and safety as per specifications dictated by Grainger Global Sourcing and government agencies. Validate and upload accurate product evaluation reports, technical specifications, and Quality Assurance sheets per Grainger Global Sourcing Integrated Management System. Provide Supplier Quality Engineer with guidance in understanding technical specifications. Approve production samples.
- Submit for review and approval engineering scope and test plans, product evaluation reports, technical specifications and quality assurance sheets per project schedule.
- Create program specific recommendations for engineering test equipment, supplies, and third-party test services. Purchase items as required to meet program goals.
- Implement the specific plans and strategies set forth by engineering management to meet program requirements and deadlines. Prepare resource requirements on a project basis regarding manpower, capital and time.
- Perform with a high level of professionalism and competency in the successful completion of assigned tasks.
- Communicate and interface effectively with Supplier Management and Merchandising as a contributing, supportive team member. Must be able to keep pace with their assigned product teams and provide all deliverables on time.
- Develop and apply appropriate testing and evaluation methods to recommend product, technology, quality and cost improvements. Create documents and test reports on CI initiatives for category specific products.
- Support value engineering efforts to drive down product cost while maintaining product quality and reliability expectations.
- Develop and deliver presentations to interdepartmental groups regarding product work and process training.
- Analyze product warranty returns and generate monthly reports that determine root cause and provide corrective action so products continue to meet or exceed quality and performance expectations.
- Review technical documents for content and safety information, such as owner’s manuals, product bulletins, catalog copy, and package labeling.
- Utilize allocated resources efficiently to complete tasks on time and on budget.
- Recommend and support strategies that contribute to Grainger’s continuous improvement system by generating processes and procedures to achieve productivity gains.
- Identify and recommend lab equipment and test provider sources and costs for product testing.
- Champion product maintenance activities such as technical and customer support, patent research, product recommendations, product revisions, and product training.
- Prepare samples and technical sales presentation materials for product line reviews, patent reviews, and for GGS customers to make final purchasing decisions.
- A Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in a technical discipline is required. Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering areas of study are preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience is required.
- Prefer experience with pumps.
- Familiarity with and speaking knowledge of NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) Motors Standard MG-1.
- Basic understanding of the relationship between Torque, Horsepower and RPM as it relates to pump motors.
- Basic understanding of the roles Underwriters Lab (UL) and Canadian Standards Association (CSA) in the certifications and listings available for pump motors and pump systems.
- Basic understanding and speaking knowledge of solid-state, variable-speed pump drives.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the Affinity Laws as they relate to the performance of pump systems (head, volumetric flow rate and RPM).
- Ability to understand and absorb highly complex material, ideas and issues.
- Able to implement a personal development plan focused on reinforcing strengths, overcoming weaknesses and developing a balance of new skills applicable to engineering and Grainger Global Sourcing business activities.
- Demonstrates comfort with emerging realities and changing conditions and adjusts accordingly.
- Proven engineering skills are required in product analysis and failures, technical problem solving, multi-tasking, and prioritizing a dynamic workload.
- Strong communication skills, willingness to work in a team environment and keen sense of urgency in completing tasks.
- Familiarity with Enterprise Resource Planning based systems (e.g., SAP, Syspro, etc.) a plus.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access, including the ability to write queries, use mail-merge functions, create charts and graphs, and presentations.
- Proven ability to procure, read, understand and interpret technical reports, specifications, test data, patents and to be able to translate technical information into useful laymen’s terms.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of various hand tools, power tools and test equipment.
- Able to travel 10-15% of time, with some international travel possible.
- Experience working with global partners and teams preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable compliancy bodies and requirements such as Underwriter’s Laboratories, Canadian Standards Association, etc.
- Must be able to tolerate an environment with exposure to heat, cold, noise, dust, odors and work around moving equipment.
- Must be able to do continuous bending and lifting up to 70 pounds and, after proper training, be able to operate material handling equipment.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Complex Problem Solving
Product Quality Assurance