A Mechanical Reliability & Maintenance System Engineer provides the technical expertise on all matters of reliability engineering, assessment, and monitoring for all process equipment. Carries out reliability studies on existing equipment and recommends needed improvements to Operations management in the areas of equipment philosophies, strategies and best practices for asset productivity.
This position is the "go to person" for all matters of equipment reliability and equipment failure. This position focuses on enhancing equipment reliability through analysis along with some first response, day-to-day trouble shooting of failed equipment. The Reliability & Maintenance Engineer will be responsible for:
Developing and implementing equipment asset plans using Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), and other reliability techniques.
Applying engineering theory and practice to perform physical failure analysis, determining root cause of equipment failures and conducting equipment performance evaluations.
Analyzing equipment trends & historical data to recommend and justify improvements to obtain lowest life cycle cost.
Promoting consistency by standardizing equipment procedures & operations within area of responsibility and as requested by customer.
Supporting capital projects by participating in setting equipment criteria and specifications to optimize equipment/system reliability and life cycle cost. Also providing technical support for fabrication, installation, and start-up of new critical equipment.
Participating in testing turn-around/shutdown teams providing input into needed equipment inspection and repair procedures.
U.S. Citizenship required. We prefer a Mechanical Engineer degree in appropriate discipline and five (5) to eight (8) years related engineering experience, or MS degree and two (2) to three (3) years of related engineering experience, or Ph.D. from ABET college or university.
• Downtime data analysis techniques and statistical interpretation skills
• Failure analysis including preservation of evidence techniques
• Maintenance and reliability best practices including the work management process
• Rotating equipment and alignment techniques
• Fundamental Materials Science, including material selection and properties
• Lubrication, tribology, and fundamentals of interpreting oil analysis results
• Vibration analysis and interpretation of vibration analysis reports
• Fundamentals of nondestructive testing, including thermography
• Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) and Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
• Engineering design standards and their application
• Cost/Capital analysis and justification
• Reliability Engineers are encouraged to get CMRP certified (Certified Maintenance & Reliability Professional) General Skills:
• Good written, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must be self-motivated and have great attention to detail.
• Strong trouble shooting skills.
• Ability to learn and work independently.
• Ability to work with others involved in a variety of functions including operators, mechanics, engineers of various disciplines, management, and other leaders
Office Environment (45%) Test Environment- May be exposed to areas of high noise levels, hazardous propellants, chemicals, and industrial facility environments (45%) Travel between various facilities/test operations is required (10%)
Must have sufficient mobility to enter all areas of test facilities; crawl, climb ladders, enter confined spaces, ability to work at elevated levels on platforms and scaffolding, etc. (20%). Must be able to walk, stand, bend, twist and sit for extended periods as well as climb, crawl, and lift up to 35 lbs.
Equipment and Machines:
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, fax, etc.) with knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. (50%), Safety and personal protective equipment (20%).
Regular attendance mandatory (100%), Overtime/work outside normal schedule required (<10%)
Other Essential Functions:
U.S. Citizenship required. Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety/risk hazard to the employee or others. Must be able to balance scope, schedule and budget to ensure project success. The work environment requires the ability to cooperate and work with individuals at all levels of the company and the client. Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance. A valid driver’s license is required.