Requisition Number: 6663Required Travel: 0 - 10%Employment Type: Full Time/Salaried/ExemptHours Per Week: 40Security Clearance: TS/SCILevel of Experience: SeniorHIIJob Description
At Commonwealth Technology Innovation (CTI), a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII), our engineers and staff are challenged to develop unique customized solutions that seamlessly blend technology and tradecraft. We value integrity, imagination, and hands-on creativity and recruit talent with diverse backgrounds who bring a broad spectrum of technical experience to our team. We expect that you will apply your skills and shape this position based on your strengths and interests. CTI preserves our small company feel and our engineers and staff have the time to focus on their work and technical contributions.Beyond our competitive salary and benefits structure, engineers and staff earn a sense of accomplishment through meaningful contributions to our nation's security priorities. With highly extensive fabrication assets in Northern Virginia including a full in-house machine shop, composite fabrication, finishing and electronics assembly capabilities, team ideas and designs quickly become fieldable hardware. Electronic solutions include communications, sensors, motion platforms, and antennas in unique packaging and form factors. Software solutions include motion and systems control, recognition and classification AI/ML, graphical user interfaces, data encryption, and communication protocols. By joining the CTI team, your skills can help solve our customer's most challenging problems and build upon the industry-leading reputation developed over 50 years.The Embedded Software engineer will advance and focus efforts of a growing team of software engineers tasked to deliver specialized hardware devices and systems. The candidate will draw upon previous experience to manage, motivate, and develop team members.A successful candidate will have the ability to drive solutions from limited requirement sets and a strong interest in creating solutions with adherence to formal design practices. The candidate shall possess a shared sense of responsibility and commitment for finishing products with teammates. The candidate must have a proven track record in the development and analysis of system requirements, design, development, debugging, and testing of analog and digital systems.The Embedded Software engineer will provide subject matter expertise in support of strategic growth through identification of new design technologies and contributions to white papers and proposals.Portions of work may be performed in a classified environment and may involve some direct interaction with customers. Tasks are varied in nature, which requires the ability to learn and adapt different technologies in a dynamic environment.Essential Job Responsibilities
Designs, develops, documents, tests and debugs applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions. Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software. Determines computer user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems. Ensures software standards are met.
- Lead a growing team of software engineers through task identification, assignment, and management, institution of best practices, and a consistent focus on career development.
- Develop technical system requirements and estimates based on preliminary customer requirements, frameworks, conversations, and research.
- Perform full firmware development cycle including requirements capture, project planning/estimating, analysis, development, board bring up, acceptance testing and configuration management.
- Support rapid prototyping on COTS single board computers including BeagleBone, Arduino, Raspberry Pi with proficient Linux-based experience
- Participate in collaboration with hardware designers for key component selections
- Read and understand schematics, component datasheets and detailed technical specifications for interfacing, testing, and troubleshooting hardware
- Design and implement embedded software to support custom real-time sensor, motion, analysis, and communication applications
- Create drivers and implement low-level device control over SPI, I2C, UART, and other buses
- Develop and manage software and design documentation. Maintain up-to-date documentation on all projects to include version control, list, and configuration files.
- Support root cause analysis and issue resolution of integrated software and electrical solutions
- Identify and pursue new design technologies, product line improvements, and proof-of-concept demonstrations
- Support strategic growth with contributions on whitepapers, proposals, and estimates.
9 years relevant experience with Bachelors in related field; 7 years relevant experience with Masters in related field; 4 years relevant experience with PhD or Juris Doctorate in related field; or High School Diploma or equivalent and 13 years relevant experience.
- US Citizen with active Secret (or above) clearance
- BS in Electrical/Computer Engineering or equivalent
- Expert C/C++ and FreeRTOS experience for multi-threaded software designs
- Experience managing small software teams
- Proven track record of working in a multi-disciplinary team environment with multiple on-going tasks and work under deadlines.
- Hands-on experience developing real-time software for custom embedded systems including implementing and debugging embedded software systems.
- Proficiency in developing peripheral drivers
- Experience with Subversion or other version control systems
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work hands-on with lab tools including logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, and multimeters
- Applications (GUI/Interface) experience
- Scientific programming experience in Python
- Data encryption experience (AES-256, etc)
- AI/ML development and/or application experience
- FPGA / DSP experience
- Strong acceptance and unit testing experience
- Experience mentoring junior software developers
Adequate visual acuity and manual dexterity for meeting the requirements Software Engineer family.
This opportunity resides with Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance
, a business group within Mission Technologies, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries. From towers to processors, we design, develop, integrate and manage the sensors, systems and other assets necessary to support integrated intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) operations, exploitation and analysis for the Intelligence Community, the military services, geographic and functional combatant commands and DoD agencies.HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII's skilled workforce is 44,000 strong. For more information, please visit:
hii.com Huntington Ingalls Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.Job Requirements
- provided by Dice
- Artificial Intelligence
- C++ (Programming Language)
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Commercial Software