Oversees the food safety and nutritional care aspects of the Food and Nutrition Services Department to ensure full compliance with federal, state and other regulatory agencies. Ensures the efficiency of food prepared in the department taking into consideration food safety, nutritional adequacy and appropriate patient nutritional care responsible for the development and enforcement of policies and procedures that direct clinical services, food preparation, distribution and service, purchasing, sanitation, safety practices, performance improvement, and staff education and development. Responsibilities
1. Demonstrates expertise in the areas of Food Service Management and Clinical Nutrition Management.
2. Demonstrates sound decision-making, making both intuitive and analytical judgments.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of hospital policies and procedures related to the management of human resources and applies/enforces them appropriately in the management of department staff.
4. Keeps abreast of current medical nutrition therapy standards and trends.
5. Possesses/demonstrates the skills to manage areas of responsibility and to delegate and prioritize appropriately. B. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Motivates subordinates to the fullest of their potential.
2. Completes performance evaluations for all subordinates in a timely manner.
3. Schedules and conducts periodic department staff meetings/in-services
4. Manages and schedules staff according to their demonstrated competency, and established labor standards.
5. Supervises staff in a fair and consistent manner.
6. Coordinates all department functions, including purchasing and storing of food and supplies, within budgetary guidelines.
7. Enhances the skill levels of all subordinates, including: cross-training, supporting and enabling vertical department transfer-promotions, promoting membership in professional organizations, encouraging external training and education.
8. Demonstrates a creative approach both to problem-solving, and to identifying unique opportunities for department activities.
9. Approves and plans patient menus taking into consideration nutritional adequacy, palatability, texture, color and cost.
10. Approves supplements and develops a hospital formulary appropriate to the patient population.
11. Maintains clear lines of authority and responsibility.
12. Displays effective interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal, in both one-on-one and group scenarios, with both supervisors and subordinates.
13. Identifies capital budget needs on an annual basis
14. Collaborates with the PI Director in the development and implementation of PI standards. Initiates "Team Concept Throughout the Department".
15. Oversees the recruitment and orientation of new employees.
16. Maintains and monitors food safety and sanitation in the food service area.
17. Coordinates the mobilization of emergency food supplies.
18. Responsible for the development of food and nutrition service policies and procedures.
19. Maintains and retains essential records, such as cost, menus, production sheets, training/inservice records etc. per hospital policy.
20. Oversees the provision of nutrition assessment, care planning and education for patients per hospital policy.
21. Provides or assigns dietitians to provide medical nutrition therapy following appropriate standards of care.
22. Performs other duties as assigned or required. OTHER ESSENTIAL DUTIES
1. Performs projects as assigned or required by the Corporate Director of Food and Nutrition Services. C. INITIATIVE AND JUDGMENT/ATTENDANCE AND RELIABILITY
1. Independently recognizes and performs duties which need to be done without being directly assigned. Establishes priorities; organizes work and time to meet them.
2. Recognizes and responds to priorities, accepts changes and new ideas. Has insight into problems and the ability to develop workable alternatives.
3. Accepts constructive criticism in a positive manner.
4. Adheres to attendance and punctuality requirements per hospital policy. Provides proper notification for absences and tardiness. Takes corrective action to prevent recurring absences or tardiness.
5. Uses time effectively and constructively. Does not abuse supplies, equipment, and service.
6. Observes all hospital and departmental policies governing conduct while at work (e.g., telephone and computer use, electronic messaging, smoking regulations, parking, breaks and other related policies). SECTION II: SERVICE EXCELLENCE SECTION III: CONTINUOUS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT A. CORPORATE INTEGRITY
1. Understands and abides by all departmental policies and procedures and is knowledgeable and complies with federal, state, and local laws that govern business practices as well as all accreditation standards that apply to the position.
2. Conducts business in an ethical and trustworthy manner at all times.QualificationsEDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING
1. Registered Dietitian (RD) required.
2. Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Food & Nutrition or related field or relevant experience.
3. Two (2) years experience in the fields of nutrition and food service management desirable.
4. Food Safety Certification from an accredited organization and maintain current.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Director - Food & Nutrition
Complex Problem Solving