An experienced engineering Operations Manager is needed to oversee the resourcing, support functions, efficiencies for a $1B+ research, development, test and evaluation (RDT&E) contract. The individual will work as part of a senior leadership team, reporting directly to the Director/Program Manager. The Operations Manager position will work with both a Chief Systems Engineer and Test engineer supporting their requirements for all technical and business support aspects, and resourcing for the development of innovative solutions to address warfighter needs for emerging and new capabilities and technologies. The customer is responsible for developing practical solutions to urgent problems and rapidly integrating solutions into testable and functional prototypes. They desire new and innovative technical solutions that will require advanced principles, theories, and concepts. Requirements will cross a variety of areas to include directed energy, alternative energy, cyber threats, hypersonics, data dissemination, multi-domain situational awareness and command and control (such as cyber, space, air), artificial intelligence, and large data dissemination, analytics, and visualization.
The matrixed organization is divided into SMEs, Functional Area experts, and Domain experts. Each organization is a direct report to the Operational Manager. His team of innovation experts are required to meet the needs of the warfighter through rapid, non-traditional, and realistic approaches to solutions. Efforts are operationally focused, realistic, statistically defensible, whole solutions involving technology, tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTP) and training. Projects include interaction and cooperation with mission partners.
The Operations Manager will resource various innovation and experimentation efforts associated with big data, multi-domain solutions, artificial intelligence/machine learning, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) mission areas. This individual also may provide expertise and council to ensure that innovative technologies proposed address warfighter mission needs as part of the leadership staff.
An engineer is preferred for the position as the team conducts highly complex systems engineering projects providing T&E, advanced research, development, design, analysis, production, implementation, and consultation. Because of the extensive and detailed requirements involving T&E, it’s important the person have an engineering background to understand resourcing requirements and technology need statements.
The Norfolk VA location is preferred, but negotiable; the position will require 10% CONUS and OCONUS travel.
- Oversee and resource highly complex and advanced engineering work concerned with the design, evaluation, planning, testing and evaluation in support of solution development, engineering analysis and research for multiple efforts.
- Build operational policies and strategies that keep the organization functioning smoothly. Individual will oversee various company financial processes, like auditing, reporting and budgeting to ensure the programs stays in sound financial standing. Will collaborate closely with Human Resources (HR) on staffing.
- Will work continuously to analyze organizational processes and will find ways to enhance employees’ work quality and productivity while working with the Deputy Program Manager Quality Manager (QM) and CPI expert.
- Supports a significant portfolio of resources to include functional Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) that support a wide range of emerging technology; functional area experts that have a deep understanding of mission systems in areas such as C6ISR, and domain experts that work across systems dedicated to Space, Land, Air, Sea, Undersea. The Operations Manager allocates these SME resources on a priority system that requires an extensive matrixed organization.
- Prepares and presents briefings to program leadership, customers and sponsors on unique technical contributions planned, in progress, or projected in support to the contract. These briefing are focused on justification of resource allocations, priorities, standard operating procedures, and engineering staffing methods. Conducts briefings with staff to communicate decisions, processes, and practices relevant to the contract.
- Leads a multi-disciplined “back office” and engineering team managing the technical performance of the program meeting technical requirements including subcontracted elements. Serves as the definitive authority for all aspects of support functions from the program management team to include HR, Cost and Accounting, Procurement, Subcontracting, Contracting, and resourcing.
- Complies with all corporate and government policies and procedures, including quality assurance and security procedures in the performance of duties. Establishes and monitors standards for internal quality programs. Provides recommendations for improvements to existing quality systems or applicable company procedures.
- Works across DoD lines of organizations to include Services and COCOMS in support of program development and technical execution on technically complex, high impact programs. Ensures resources meet needs of technical direction and conducts execution oversight for high visibility technically complex programs. Applies expert knowledge of scientific practices and principles in formulating resource solutions for technical applications in broad areas of assignment.
- Maintains a liaison role on technical matters with staff and customers and acts independently to uncover and resolve resource challenges associated with the development and implementation of operational projects. This will include elements outside of DoD to include non-traditional commercial and academic establishments.