Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Hubbell Power Systems (HPS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HPS is deeply engaged in product solutions for OSP Communication utility purposes, and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HPS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HPS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas and water industries.
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
Purpose: The Director of Technical Accounting – HPS, based in St. Louis Missouri will primarily support the Aclara Business Unit of HPS in the accounting and reporting for complex transactions, as well as adherence to HPS accounting policies. The Director of Technical Accounting has deep knowledge and experience with authoritative U.S. GAAP, the ability to effectively research and interpret accounting guidance, and partner with the business to apply that guidance to specific transactions. Strong working knowledge of ASC 606, and the ability to effectively identify, diagnose, and communicate the impact of complex revenue transactions to the company’s leadership team are also key elements of this role.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with the business and to understand proposed transactions, diagnose the accounting and reporting, implications in relation to U.S. GAAP as well as implications to the company’s internal control environment. Including complex revenue transactions, warranty arrangements, and software development costs, among other key areas.
- Work with the accounting and finance team to design effective accounting and reporting processes around those transactions with an appropriate focus on internal controls.
- Liaison with operations and engineering on warranty matters and diagnosing the implication to warranty reserves.
- Evaluation of costs relating to software development projects and assessment of proper capitalization under U.S. GAAP. Development of policies and procedures for capitalized software development costs.
- Provide technical accounting support and guidance for the company’s business acquisitions, including al purchase accounting related entries.
- Drafting technical accounting memos, accounting position papers, and control documentation to support the company’s accounting conclusions and processes.
- Staying current with emerging accounting guidance that may impact the business, proactively assessing the impact and alternatives, and effectively communicating those findings to the company’s leadership team.
- Liaison with the company’s Hubbell Corporate accounting team on technical accounting matters, presenting findings, assessments and alternatives to the HPS Controller.
- Liaison with the company’s external audit team on technical accounting matter and positions taken.
- Support annual SOX 404 compliance.
- Coordinate the Aclara Signature Authority Matrix, ongoing maintenance, training for new and existing users.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Accounting from a four-year college or university.
- CPA license.
- At least 8-10 years of combined work experience in Big 4 and/or Corporate Accounting and Controls experience.
- Operates efficiently and effectively with minimal oversight.
- Experience working in/with a U.S. public company.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Willingness and ability to adapt to the rapid business and organizational changes that accompany a high-growth environment.
- Ability to research technical accounting issues by utilizing Accounting Standard Codification and other technical accounting sources.
- Proven ability to work well with others in a multi-national organization.
- Proven leadership and management skills.
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and power point presentation skills.
- Exhibit a confident leadership presence and can effectively modify presentation styles to all levels within an organization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- MBA in Accounting/Finance.
- Experience with Hyperion Financial Management, JDE, SAP, Blackline a plus, or experience with other major reporting software/systems considered.
- Experience working in a publicly traded manufacturing environment.
Bachelors Degree in Accounting
Masters Degree in Business
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.