Requisition ID # 120320
Job Category : Customer Support / Operations
Job Level : Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Energy Policy & Procurement
Bay Area Region. Position will require field visits and periodic visits to GO Complex in Oakland.
The Integrated Grid Planning and Innovation (IGPI) organization’s mission is to design, test and integrate innovative solutions to meet the needs and expectations of our customers and accelerate PG&E’s transition to the grid of the future. These solutions will be achieved leveraging the dedicated functional expertise of the following areas: Energy Storage and Load Management, Microgrid Strategy and Implementation, Grid Innovations, and Integrated Grid Planning. IGPI is part of the larger Energy Portfolio Procurement and Policy organization. If it sounds like a crazy idea, we’re all up for it. The questions we ask aren’t about whether it can be done, but rather ‘what will it take to get it done.’ If this sounds right up your alley, come join us in exploring what the future energy delivery model may look like!
The Local Resilience Solutions Team (RST) within Integrated Grid Planning & Innovation (IGP&I) delivers high-impact local energy resilience solutions, through community resiliency consulting, solution identification, and driving alignment with PG&E’s electric grid planning, strategy, innovation, and customer programs. The RSTeam is a newly formed team designed to support each newly formed Region with resilience and energy planning. To do so, RST works closely with external regional, county, city, and local community stakeholders and partner groups within PG&E to identify, plan, and coordinate focused community driven resilience projects.
The RSI Product Manager plays a central role in advancing PG&E’s energy resilience initiatives in the Bay Area Region with a strong focus on regional and local engagement with internal and external stakeholders. The RSI will build relationships within their assigned region and manage resilience solution design from community need identification, to solution concept to full operational functionality. This role will also act as an intake for discovering new types of resilience strategies and technologies creating new opportunities for the utility to consider for innovation development.
Successful implementation of Resilience Solutions will involve creative engagement with internal and external stakeholders, helping educate constituents on how the grid works in their area, what wildfire mitigation strategies are at work in their communities, and through a practice of inquiry and discovery, finding opportunities to identify potential projects to increase the resilience of key critical infrastructure and community services aligned with local emergency planning and response. Resilience solutions leverage the use of many front of the meter traditional strategies (sectionalizing devices, undergrounding conductors, system hardening, enhanced vegetation, etc) and non-traditional solutions (multi-customer microgrids, remote grids, energy storage, temporary generation, vehicle to grid, etc.) The Product Manager will work closely with other initiative workstream leads across various lines of business including Electric Operations, Energy Policy & Procurement, Customer Care, Local Public Affairs, Emergency Preparedness and Response, and Regulatory Affairs to drive effective execution of the initiative and maintain alignment across all stakeholders. External partners typically include County jurisdictions (OES, Sheriff, Fire, facilities managers, utilities), city jurisdictions (City Managers, facilities managers, emergency and community planners), and private critical facilities (hospitals, telecom, water agencies, etc.) The key goal is to help create community partnerships yielding increased electricity security in our communities through targeted projects carried through to full operational functionality.
Solution evaluation and implementation
- Lead communications and solution evaluation, design, and implementation; collaborating with diverse stakeholders to determine effective energy resilience solutions.
- Coordinate with internal program teams to scope, align design intent, and track to completion
- Coordinate the safe, timely execution of those solutions.
Community-Informed Investment Planning
- Build deep regional knowledge and engage communities to identify local resilience priorities.
- Develop inputs into existing planning processes to inform utility prioritization.
- Communicate PG&E’s overall planning approach and investment planning outcomes to communities.
Advancing clean alternatives for energy resilience
- Work with other innovation and engineering teams at PG&E to integrate advanced technology and distributed energy resources into solution design and implementation.
- Coordinate the implementation of pilot projects that demonstrate the technical, operational, and financial viability of resilient solutions.
- Clear documentation of the solution evaluation process, criteria, and outcomes are a key responsibility and measure of success for this role, with the goal of increasing transparency and clarity among PG&E’s internal and external stakeholders.
Wildfire risk reduction, Public Safety Power Shutoff mitigation, and risk model integration
- Support MSI, IGP&I’s, Community Wildfire Safety Program efforts to continuously improve the strategy for energy resilience strategies and Microgrids for PSPS mitigation and wildfire risk reduction initiatives including refining program scope, site selection strategy, and measurement and evaluation methodology.
- Coordinate with energy resilience, microgrids, and PSPS workstream leads across PG&E to ensure resilience strategies meet PG&E’s overall objectives and complement other planned projects.
- Develop familiarity with PG&E’s evolving PSPS risk models and data analytics initiatives and support the integration of resilience strategies and projects with those initiatives.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Business, Economics, Marketing, Psychology, or related
- 10+ years of related experience or equivalent
- Advanced understanding of energy generation, delivery, customer usage
- Ability to lead and influence large and complex product initiatives that have implication and impact across multiple lines of business, product or service offerings
- Advanced project management and change management skills
- Strong oral and written communication, highlighting the ability to break down complex technical concepts into easily understood principles.
- High degree of curiosity.
- Ability to self-motivate, drive decisions, and coordinate project execution across cross-functional teams
- Experience with data analytics and/or risk models
- Graduate degree in science, engineering, technology, energy, communications, technical education or a related field or equivalent experience
- Working technical knowledge of overall electric grid design and operations, distributed energy resources, and/or conventional generation
- Positive attitude; willingness to adapt as tasks and scope evolve
- High inclination to be driven, to be curious, ask questions, learn by doing, and keep the customer at the center of the design intent
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous environment and managing competing strategic objectives
- Change Management
- Customer Service
- Data Analysis