Security Clearance: No Clearance
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND PURPOSE (Job Description)
The Foreman represents their trade on a project or group of projects within the ship class (es). This position manages, and controls trade processes and procedures in support of NASSCO's safety, quality, schedule, cost and continuous improvement goals.
POSITION DEMANDS (Education/Training)
Typically has a BA/BS plus 4 years in a related field or AA/AS plus 8 years directly related experience or 10 years directly related ship building/ship repair experience in supervisory roles.
POSITION DEMANDS (Required Experience)
* In-depth knowledge in all facets of their trade relating to ship repair.
* Working knowledge of contracting and estimating procedures.
* Demonstrated knowledge and utilization of production processes, methods, quality, and technology.
* Effective leadership, communication, multi-tasking and team-building skills.
* Proven interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others as a team.
* Proficient in computer-based software applications and databases.
* Analyzes and develops safety policies and procedures to ensure trade(s), sub-contractors and ship's force personnel are protected from hazardous conditions that may result from ship repairs. Principle responsibilities include: ensuring the proper personal protection equipment (PPE) is worn, all safety procedures are followed, and that employees perform all work in a safe and responsible manner.
Must be able to go on vessels
Reports to the General Foreman and depending on assignment may have a dual reporting relationship to the Production Manager. This position typically has approximately 20-50 direct and indirect reports. Manages skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled mechanics and trade subcontractors in their trade on a project. Supports Program and Production management by monitoring and managing manpower resources, quality, safety, schedule and budget performance. Develops and maintains communication at all levels internal to NASSCO to improve overall business processes with emphasis on trade management and program performance.
* Plans and projects manpower requirements to support Production / Program Management activities. Ensures manpower requirements are communicated to / from the General Foreman and are available.
* Ensures all employees are properly supervised and have all the necessary tooling, equipment, specifications, drawings and procedures to properly accomplish their jobs.
* Deconflicts work and informs the Production Manager and Project Managers of any potential problem that jeopardizes completion of quality work within budget and schedule.
* Attends daily production meetings and coordinates their assignments with other shops and ensures projected goals are met and all issues are being addressed.
* Defines, measures, and controls production quality and safety within trade(s).
* Monitors processes for continuous improvement and ensures the fullest support by all supervision.
* Monitors trade / shop rework trends and implements corrective actions.
* Works with trades / shops to develop training plans and ensures all personnel, including temporary labor, have been properly trained.
* Controls, coordinates, and manages trades via General Foreman and Project Manager(s).
* Has joint responsibility, with Production Manager, for trade performance to meet contract quality, safety, schedule and budget performance.
* Advises on estimates, progressing and cost data.
* Performs all job functions in accordance with NASSCO's Mission, Vision, Values and Principles.
* Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
Accountable to the General Foreman, the Production Manager, and the Project Manager(s) for the efficient and effective performance of trade personnel while adhering to budgetary, quality, manpower, schedule, and safety requirements.
STANDARD EQUIPMENT ISSUE
Cell phone and laptop computer
Must be willing to travel, have reliable transportation and qualify to operate a company vehicle. Must be able to gain access to all work locations including government and private shipyards and/or vessels. Must have reliable record of attendance and punctuality and be available for overtime as required. Must be able to physically transit all areas of the facility and the drydock. Must be able to spend up to 70% of time in an outdoor shipyard environment in all climates. Regularly required to sit, stand, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects or controls, and to talk and hear. Must have good eye/hand coordination. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. Must be familiar with working in a naval ship repair environment and be able to go aboard vessels and the drydock, climb ladders, work in tanks and confined spaces, and wear PPE. These areas can be dirty, dusty, hot or cold, and noisy.
Pay Range: $73,097.73 - $94,597.06 Annually
The pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity.
* Comprehensive health offerings such as medical, dental, and vision
* Health Savings Account to cover you and your dependents
* Earn 120 hours per year of paid time off
* 8 Company paid Holidays
* 401(k) retirement savings plan with comp
General Dynamics NASSCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
To learn more about applicant rights under federal law, click here:
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you have a disability that impacts your ability to complete the job application process and would like to request an accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department.
. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, not to inquire about the status of applications.
Nearest Major Market: Tacoma
Nearest Secondary Market: Seattle
Job Segment: Security Clearance, Temporary, Electrical, Equity, QA, Government, Contract, Finance, Engineering, Quality
- Business Process Improvement
- Business Processes
- Confined Spaces
- Contract Management
- Interpersonal Skills