The CT Radiology Assistant IV assists the CT tech with patient care, transportation and clerical duties.
Work Schedule: Varies
Location: Riverside Medical Center
- Burns CDs for ER patients who are being shipped out and also for specialty exams that are handled in CT rather than in the film room.
- After standard business hours, when the Radiologists are no longer onsite,
- Also enters the patient's history into the Vision Telerad Webserver.
- Prints out the Vision Preliminary Reading Report and Scans them into both EPIC and PACs.
- Answers telephone calls from the ED, The Floors, the Scheduling department, other modalities, and doctor's offices, patients, etc.
- Checks with the CT Tech if they are unsure how to respond to a question. Takes a message for the CT tech if a callback from a Tech is needed.
- Checks for lab results, Pregnancy Test results, Iodine allergies and alerts the CT Tech for any potential problems before proceeding with the scan.
- Checks for previous CT scans for comparison and alerts the CT Tech if the patient has had the same exam recently in case the Radiologist must be notified for an approval.
- Communicates the patient's history to the CT Tech as they are entering it into EPIC.
- During brief periods when there are no patients ready to come to the department ; the CT Assistant helps the CT Tech with straightening up the department, disinfecting keyboards, telephones, etc., changing out the laundry and garbage bags; restocking the rooms, putting away supplies, and vacuuming the air intake screens (about 10 of them for each scanner)Gives a preliminary explanation to the patient of what is to be expected as far as what type of CT Scan the patient will be having and how long it will take. They are charged with making a good first impression of the CT department to our patients.
- Greets and escorts patients in and out of the CT scan room.If there are two CT Techs on duty than the CT Assistant goes back and forth helping both of the CT Techs equally.
- Introduces patient to the CT Tech and does a proper hand-off.Is trained and demonstrates competency in the use of all patient lifting aides and assists in moving patients from cart, bed, or wheelchair to scan table using proper body mechanics and connects patients to Oxygen if required. Practices Standard Precautions for all patient contact, using hand sanitizer gel, washing hands, and wearing gloves. Wears gowns, and masks when appropriate and standard precautions are not enough.
- Makes sure the Order Corresponds to exactly what the Radiologist has protocolled to be done. If not, alerts the CT Tech and EDITS the order in EPIC if instructed to do so by the Technologist.
- May Under the Direct Supervision of the CT Tech, enter information into EPIC regarding IV starts, Assessments, and Removals with verbal readback.
- May Under the Direct Supervision of the CT Tech, enter orders for the appropriate contrast with verbal read back, as well as I-STATs with results.
- Obtains a thorough medical history from patient as well as the reason for the exam and enters all information into EPIC.
- Positions patients comfortably on the Scan Table, using pillows and wedges under the patients knees, and offers a blanket . Collects eyeglasses, hearing aides, and other personal items for safe keeping and return to the patient at the end of their exam.
- The CT Assistant will get one patient ready in one exam room, hand them off to the CT Tech, and then go get the next patient set up in the second exam room. This is the workflow for if there is only one tech on duty.
- The CT Assistant will remind the CT Tech that there are Inpatients that still need to come down and which ones may need to be fed and will schedule them in between ER and Outpatients and enter the Transport Orders for them. They will call the floors and talk to the nurses to find out if a patient is ready to come down, do they have a working IV, and were they given their oral contrast on schedule.To a greater or lesser degree, depending on how experienced and how busy the CT Department is, the CT Asssistant manages the departments workflow by first of all keeping a close eye on the Tech Worklist in EPIC and keeping the CT Tech informed as to what has been ordered, who is ready now, who needs to be prepped or protocolled, and who are we waiting for lab results or and an IV to be placed.
- Transports All Outpatients and ER Patients and assists in the transporting of Inpatients when released to do so by the CT Tech. The CT Techs are expected to release them if they can spare them, however during very busy periods this may not be possible. Also, the CT Tech may require them to either go for a STAT CT Patient or Take a STAT CT Patient back to the floor rather than wait for a Radiology Transporter to become available. Verifies that there is a signed order in EPIC and if not then checks to see if the patient has the order. If no order found, alerts the CT Tech to call for a verbal order from the ordering physician.
Riverside Healthcare is revolutionizing care using leading-edge technology to diagnose and treat patients. We are ranked top in the nation for performance in neurosurgery, orthopedics, and heart surgery and have also been named one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals® by Truven Health Analytics seven times. Riverside is nationally recognized for our specialty programs in obstetrics, trauma, oncology, rehabilitation, geriatrics, occupational health, psychiatric services, and treatment of alcohol and chemical dependency, as well as patient safety. We combine innovation and convenience at state-of-the-art facilities located in communities throughout the greater Kankakee area.
Riverside Medical Center proves that truly progressive medicine is being delivered in Chicago’s southwest suburbs and East Central Illinois. Join a team that is not only concerned with providing the best care possible but also with offering a work environment of advancement and growth. Riverside is a place that embraces a culture where opinions count and dedication is respected, where superior performance is rewarded with competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Basic Life Support