To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
West Main Street
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Communications Manager - IBM New Collar
IBM • Charlottesville, VA
Posted 12 days ago
Your Role and Responsibilities
Locations: New York City or Washington, D.C. Please note we are not able to provide relocation assistance.
Are you a passionate storyteller who is up-to-date on emerging trends in technology and the ways they’re impacting our everyday lives? Does making the tech industry diverse and inclusive describe your dream job? Do you act with an urgency that says the work matters, because it does?
We are seeking an outstanding External Relations Professional with the right experience, media relationships, and work ethic to showcase IBM’s leadership on "new collar" jobs and skills training.
Technology is the fastest growing sector of the American economy yet there are not enough skilled workers to fill the 500,000 high-tech jobs open in the country at any given time. Many of these roles are new collar jobs in fast growing technology fields that require specific, in-demand skills but not always a traditional bachelor’s degree. Since launching our New Collar initiatives, IBM has lead the charge in expanding pathways that students and workers can use to build new collar skills in what's become a major paradigm shift in the global debate over workforce training and the future of work.
This is an opportunity to join an award-winning Communications team
and tell new collar stories at the convergence of technology, education and public policy. Working with some of IBM’s most senior leaders, advocates and new collar employees across the country and around the world, your role is pivotal in amplifying our progress and innovation around one of the central questions of our time.
To be successful, you will need strong writing chops and the ability to maintain productive relationships with top tier reporters and influencers. You should also bring with you real passion for storytelling through media relations, and for adapting narratives to meet the needs of business, industry, digital, regional and local media.
- Aggressively tell IBM’s New Collar story, including leadership on programs and policy, by developing and leading a long-term strategic communications program.
- Continually mine compelling, personal stories from within IBM’s new collar workforce that can be shared with external audiences through a variety of channels.
- Craft media and influencer strategies for dynamic outreach and differentiated narratives.
- Develop written content, including strategic plans, blogs, pitches, press releases, op-eds, and other thought leadership material.
- Develop internal assets and processes to ensure consistent global messaging and aggressive activation around IBM’s new collar leadership.
- Serve as a trusted communications advisor to senior executives and other spokespeople.
- Collaborate with strategic, functional and corporate communications extended teams to maintain cohesive messaging in support of IBM’s global New Collar narrative.
- Develop Advocacy assets and narratives based on powerful storylines, supported by facts, reason and examples, that will excite and engage relevant government officials.
This role requires the ability to work in the U.S. without current or future need for IBM sponsorship.
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in Media Relations, PR, or similar Communications roles.
- Hold a number of connections with top-tier reporters, social media pundits and other industry influencers.
- Hands-on experience working across myriad categories of media as well as social platforms.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Multitasker; able to set priorities in a fast-paced environment while driving progress on multiple fronts.
- A team-player; someone willing to roll up their sleeves and get it done.
- Experience working with agency partners to amplify media and storytelling efforts.
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.