At POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For over thirty years our drive and passion to change the world has enabled us to become the largest producer and marketer of biofuels in the world. ABOUT POET BIOPROCESSING
Our 28 Bioprocessing facilities produce over 1.9 billion gallons of ethanol, 5 million tons of Dakota Gold distillers grain animal feed and 600 million pounds of our Voila® corn oil. That’s a lot of product! In addition, we provide CO2 to the beverage industry and contribute to sustainable roadways. We also buy 650 million bushels of corn per year from local producers. It is our role at POET bioprocessing to ensure safe, efficient, and profitable operations at each facility. JOB SUMMARY
The Laboratory Technician I is responsible for maintaining a clean, professional and safe working environment in the lab at all times. Team members in this position run multiple tests in accordance to the Standard Operation Procedures (SOP), ensure tests are completed in a timely manner and complete tests in a frequency that is established by the Quality Manager. If any testing results are out of range, it is the responsibility of the Laboratory Technician I to report this information to the Quality Manager. This position is largely self-directed and requires understanding company policy, procedures and values.
DURING A TYPICAL DAY (IF THERE IS ONE):
- Maintain a clean, professional and safe working environment in the laboratory.
- Perform quality control tests on product streams.
- Coordinate test results with operators to ensure optimum quality and efficiency.
- Maintain laboratory supplies and provide supply orders to the Quality Manager.
- Perform tests in accordance with approved POET SOP’s and according to the frequency established by the Quality Manager and/or Operations.
- Ensure all data is entered in a timely manner.
- Ensure all Quality Control Standards, duplicates and cross-validations are completed as established by POET Biorefining standard operating procedure.
- Perform NIR IT (PQ) testing on a weekly basis and report any test failures to the Quality Manager.
- Notify the Quality Manager when any quality control standards are not within specified limits.
- Work with operations on special testing requests.
- Must be able to meet call-in requirements as well as work extended hours as necessary.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion POET in the community.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!
CHARACTERISTICS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Basic troubleshooting skills and prior analytical experience required.
- Prior experience with environmental testing and knowledge of cGMP, PI, QC and PQ reporting preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management and communications skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
- You communicate effectively in writing and in person.
- You have the ability to understand technical and day to day operation of a bioprocessing facility.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You’re capable of learning new programs.
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s the way we do things at POET.
- This position is largely self-directed and requires a thorough understanding of company policy. Team members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements in all work environments. This position operates in multiple work environments, including a plant environment, a laboratory environment, as well as an office environment. In the lab, the team member will work with a range of analytical instrumentation, multiple chemical reagents and perform various wet chemistry tests. In the office, the team member will work on a personal computer. In the plant environment, the team member may be exposed to noise, heat, and other elements both inside and outside. While performing the duties of this position, the team member will be exposed to moving, mechanical parts, dusty conditions, high noise levels, internal and external temperature/weather conditions, and exposed to chemicals.
- Specific physical requirements include:
- Occasionally lifting weight up to sixty (60) pounds.
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders.
- Opening valves.
- Occasionally bending, twisting and turning while lifting weight of less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Data entry while seated for greater than one (1) hour.
- Walking up to two (2) or more miles per day.
- Pushing brooms, shovels, etc.
- Working at heights, in confined spaces and at temperatures from -20 to +100 degrees.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Using hand and power tools.
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. #choosebiofuels
Personal Protective Equipment
Product Quality Assurance