The successful candidate will be part of a team of corporate attorneys in the Legal Division responsible for providing legal advice and guidance to support M&T’s Treasury and other groups, supporting and advising on securities finance, derivative and capital markets transactions.
This position will report to the Head of the Corporate Legal Group in the Legal Division who, in turn, ultimately reports up to the General Counsel. This position will interact closely with the Treasury Group as well as other departments/business units across the enterprise. Accordingly, it is important for the successful candidate to be able to work collaboratively with others.
More specifically, the successful candidate will:
• Provide legal support to M&T’s Treasury group in connection with capital markets transactions associated with the issuance of debt securities, as well as securitizations and other securities issuances intended to meet M&T’s liquidity and funding needs
• Support various liquidity and funding collateral loan programs managed by M&T’s Treasury group, including the Federal Reserve Borrower-in-Custody (BIC) and Federal Home Loan Bank programs
• Support Treasury Operations to provide legal advice on posting collateral for government deposits and derivative transactions
• Draft, review and negotiate securities finance, derivative and ISDA agreements entered into between M&T and institutional counterparties and/or other end-users, such as ISDA master agreements and other documentation for credit derivatives, interest rate swaps, foreign exchange (FX) swaps, Master Securities Forward Transaction Agreements (MSTFAs) and Master Repurchase Agreements (MRAs) for mortgage backed securities, margin loans and securities lending arrangements
• Provide legal advice to M&T with respect to services provided by M&T to commercial customers and third parties, such as FX services and brokered deposit services, including advising on relevant laws and regulations, drafting and reviewing customer agreements and disclosures and advising on product development
• Advise on banking and securities regulations affecting a treasury and finance group of a bank, such as derivatives regulations, ISDA protocols, netting rules, margin loan rules, FDIC assessment requirements, FDIC large bank resolution requirements, Regulation D reserve requirements, brokered deposit requirements, market risk rule, capital adequacy and CCAR/DFAST requirements, and liquidity coverage ratio (LCR) requirements
• Provide legal support for public welfare and low income housing tax credit investment transactions (in which M&T takes an equity stake in a limited partnership) in order to obtain regulatory approval
• Provide legal advice on the Bank Owned Life Insurance (BOLI) program
• Participate in industry and BPI capital and liquidity meetings from a legal perspective
• Identify, evaluate and escalate legal and regulatory risks affecting M&T relating to the above matters
Provide day-to-day advice with respect to substantive matters escalated to Legal with respect to the above matters
• Oversee outside counsel retained to advise on matters for the above matters
• Partner with M&T’s compliance, risk and audit groups on the above matters
• Keep senior management and other personnel up to date on pertinent legal and regulatory developments, including legal risks
. The candidate may have all or some of the above experience, with the strong desire and acumen to learn other portions of the above work.
J.D. from an accredited law school.
At least seven years previous experience as an attorney
At least five years of leadership experience
New York State or applicable state bar admission.
Ideally, experience with advising the Treasury group of a bank or negotiating derivatives and ISDA agreements
Ability to handle multiple tasks, take on new responsibilities and prioritize work in a deadline-intensive environment; experience in leading and facilitating change
Ability to understand and integrate details of business/operational/systemic environment in applying legal and policy requirements
Experience identifying, evaluating and escalating legal risk issues
Strong communication skills to deal with internal and external constituents, including senior business leaders; external counsel; regulatory officials; risk, compliance and audit counterparts at the organization; counterparts at other companies; and industry representatives
Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; ability to communicate and relate at all levels of the organization
Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills and ability to influence through collaboration
Demonstrated experience in leading others, both through direct relationships and/or indirectly (influencing without direct authority)
Associate General Counsel: Treasury, Securities Finance & Derivatives Attorney
M&T BankNew YorkFull Time
Assistant General Counsel - MMA
Marsh and McLennanNew York
Assistant General Counsel, Executive Compensation
Marsh and McLennanNew York
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to ourTrust and Site Security Team
Job ID: R24426
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.