Huntsville Memorial Hospital
Human Resources Director
Responsible for the overall planning, organizing, implementing, and controlling of the human resources functions of the institution to promote the effective and efficient utilization of hospital personnel; ensures that each department’s compliance with the institution’s human resources policies and procedures is consistent throughout the institution; plans, coordinates, and administers policies, procedures, and programs that relate to all phases of the human resources activities, including employee relations, compensation and benefits, management training and development, and recruitment and employment. Areas of responsibility include Human Resources and Volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree
- PHR or SPHR Certification preferred
- Three to Five years of progressively responsible, successful management, supervisory administrative and budgetary experience at in hospital human resource management or directly related field.
- Knowledge of EEOC, ADA, FLSA, OSHA, COBRA, and other federal/state laws and regulations.
Skills and Knowledge
- Comprehensive knowledge of human resource trends and best practices.
- Considerable knowledge of employment laws, regulations, and practices; and state and federal laws relating to community colleges and higher education.
- Considerable knowledge of design, development and implementation of salary administration plans and benefit program.
- Considerable knowledge of ERP systems used in human resources applications, human resources information systems.
- Working knowledge of HMH policies, procedures and practices.
- Working knowledge in examining and re-engineering procedures, and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Knowledge of accreditation, licensure, and regulatory standards and experience in participating in site visits and surveys.
- Proficiency in the use of presentation, and spreadsheet applications, specifically Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong interpersonal skills, personal work ethic and high degree of personal integrity.
- Skilled in valuing diversity in the accomplishment of goals and work tasks.
- Ability to relate to and ability to operate personal computer (Windows) in utilizing various programs (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.) to produce or compose formal documents, reports and records.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, in a tactful and diplomatic manner that demonstrates exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, handle multiple projects and tasks through to completion, with attention to close detail.
- Ability to supervise the work of others and to manage employees.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with executives, directors, managers, supervisors, employees and the public.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive personal information.
- Serves as an advisor to the Administrative Executive Council, administration, and departmental management with regard to personnel administration issues and the effective and efficient utilization of human resources.
- Provides management-level personnel with an interpretation of federal and state labor laws.
- Initiates, develops, and recommends personnel and managerial policies, procedures, and programs to administration.
- Informs employees of hospital personnel policies, procedures, and programs through such means as memos, various meetings, and the utilization of informational employee bulletin boards.
- Advises administration, supervisory staff, and employees as to the proper interpretation of various personnel and managerial policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Recommends policies and procedures to achieve institutional objectives while ensuring maximum utilization and retention of staff.
- Coordinates and administers the institution’s compensation program.
- Maintains institution-wide compensation systems through performance of job audits, internal comparisons of positions, external salary surveys, and monitoring of classification structure for all jobs, position descriptions content, title usage, salary grades, and individual rates of pay.
- Works with Accounting to distribute and coordinate the performance review merit worksheet. Coordinates the Compensation committee meeting to review assigned merits to assure internal equity among all staff.
- Coordinates the institution’s job evaluation program.
- Responds to authorized administrative requests for review of existing or newly created positions by researching and writing position job specifications and requirements for hiring.
- Administers the preparation of general range and market adjustment proposal submitted to administration.
- Directs the day-to-day operation of all employee benefit programs, including initial enrollments, processing of withholding through payroll, claims documentation, and the processing and termination of coverage at the time of separation from work force.
- Monitors various monthly statistics regarding hospital vacancy, turnover, terminations etc. to provide timely information to directors and senior administrators.
- Ensures uniformity in the application of hiring criteria, selection procedures, advertisement practices, establishment of salary rates, and transfer protocols.
- Monitors the hospital’s recruitment and selection progress. Coordinates local job fairs and participates in job fairs as necessary to provide a qualified pool of applicants for open positions.
- Furnishes administration with ongoing estimates regarding labor costs resulting from planned employee promotions, position reclassifications, and other employee pay changes or procedures.
- Plans for, develops and coordinates the content of the hospital’s management development programs and conducts various supervisory training programs where applicable.
- Coordinates the hospital’s grievance program and acts as an advisor to all parties during the various levels of the process.
- Furnishes recommendations on courses of action in handling employee problems and concerns to department managers and supervisors.
- Counsels employees on matters relating to their employment at the hospital.
- Investigates causes of disputes and employee disciplinary problems; recommends follow-up action to management, including written warnings, suspension, and discharge action in conjunction with established institutional policy.
- Develops the departmental budget; recommends changes in funding for cost centers based on labor market conditions, benefit trends, and expenses associated with modifications in government reporting requirement.
- Administers the hospital’s compliance with various governmental regulations affecting labor, i.e., Equal Employment Opportunity Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, Age Discrimination Act, Equal Pay Act, Rehabilitation Act, National Labor Relations Act, and other significant articles of legislation.
- Participates in organizational analysis, planning, and development.
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of the Human Resources staff members.
- Represents the institution at outside conferences, labor hearings, and seminars related to human resources activities.
- Conducts an ongoing exit interview program to determine causes for separation from the hospital; furnishes comprehensive recommendations for necessary changes to enhance employee productivity.
- Abides by the HMH Legal Compliance Code of Conduct.
- Maintains a safe work environment and reports safety concerns appropriately.
Huntsville Memorial Hospital, Huntsville, Texas, is a 123-bed, Joint Commission‐accredited, not‐for‐profit acute care community hospital. HMH delivers quality healthcare services to the residents of Walker County and its surrounding communities, a population of more than 72,000. HMH and its dedicated staff offer compassionate care and the latest technologies and treatment solutions. HMH holds Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center designation. HMH keeps community health and wellness at the forefront of its mission.
About Community Hospital Corporation – HELP WHERE HOSPITALS NEED IT®
Community Hospital Corporation owns, manages and consults with hospitals through three distinct organizations – CHC Hospitals, CHC Consulting and CHC ContinueCARE, which share a common purpose to guide, support and enhance the mission of community hospitals and healthcare providers. Based in Plano, Texas, CHC provides the resources and experience community hospitals need to improve quality outcomes, patient satisfaction and financial performance. For more information about CHC, please visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Human Resources Director