To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Princess Anne, MD 21853
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Agri-tourism and Value Added Agriculture Marketing Specialist
University of Maryland Eastern Shore • Princess Anne, MD
Posted 1 month ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The School of Agricultural and Natural Sciences (SANS), University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), seeks applications for the position of Agri-tourism and Value Added Agriculture Marketing Specialist. This is a 12-month position focused on extension and applied research. This assignment may change in accordance with the needs of the programs.
The UMES Extension Program is a component of an integrated cooperative extension program that is coordinated by the two land grant universities in the in the state of Maryland. The successful candidate will work as part of a collaborative interdisciplinary team encompassing several programs. They will also be expected to conduct a nationally recognized state-wide Extension education and applied research program focused on improving livelihoods and enhancing local, regional and state-wide economic development efforts with a specific focus on agri-tourism and value added agriculture.
The key responsibilities for the position will include the development of integrated extension and applied research programs that could include but will not be limited to the following areas:
- Develop a statewide Extension educational program based on marketing fundamentals in support of agri-tourism and value-added agriculture enterprise development.
- Plan, develop, implement, evaluate and report on inputs, outcomes, impacts and accomplishments of agri-tourism and value-added educational programs for relevant clientele.
- Provide leadership for market analysis and development in various agri-tourism and value-added agriculture program and project areas.
- Working with local community stakeholders to promote effective agri-tourism and value added agribusiness enterprises.
- Participate in graduate education by chairing and serving on graduate committees and providing opportunities for experiential training for undergraduate students.
- Consistently publish their work in both peer-reviewed journals and relevant extension outlets.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Secure external funding to support extension and applied research programs.
- Develop effective teaching tools such as publications, fact sheets, presentations, worksheets, web-based tools and other creative tools to enhance the delivery and understanding of information on agri-tourism and value-added marketing and market development.
- Conduct market analysis, develop marketing plans, assist in development of marketing materials and evaluate marketing strategies for value-added agriculture product ideas and enterprises submitted to the Center by farmers and agri-entrepreneurs.
- Work closely with other programs and faculty at UMES and UMCP as other stakeholders from across the state of Maryland.
- Support, strengthen and participate in county-based Extension programs as appropriate.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Marketing or Business Administration, Community development. A Master's Degree in a closely related field will be considered with the addition of at least three years' work experience in agri-tourism, value-added agriculture and/or, direct marketing and outreach which demonstrates promise in Extension responsibilities.
- Have a demonstrated knowledge of marketing fundamentals.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Evidence of scholarly publications.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to develop competitive grant proposals.
- Strong oral and written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership in designing, coordinating and implementing applied research and extension projects.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to work flexible hours including occasional nights and weekends.
- Commitment to the land grant mission.
- Proficiency with computer applications such as Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills with an ability to plan ahead and be able to manage and prioritize responsibilities for multiple projects.
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Marketing or Business Administration, Community development or closely related field.
- Experience in or strong understanding of conducting marketing analysis studies and developing, implementing and evaluating marketing plans.
- Experience in or strong understanding of agri-tourism and/or value-added agriculture enterprise analysis, development and operation.
- Knowledge of and experience with using common social media applications such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for marketing purposes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver educational programs to diverse clientele.
- Knowledge of the land grant mission.
- Experience and ability to work individually or provide leadership to multidisciplinary teams as well as abilities to work and serve as an effective member of program teams.
- Experience in grant proposal writing and development.
- Knowledge of agricultural Extension programs and the land-grant mission.
- Experience working with small-scale farmers and ranchers and/or small local tourism or agribusiness enterprises.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge and experience with value added agriculture, agricultural and/or rural tourism, including rural tourism development, marketing, and its impacts on community and environment.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to develop competitive grant proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver educational programs to diverse clientele in both formal and informal settings and to use emerging technologies in managing and/or delivering educational programs.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to lead and coordinate collaborative activities.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Support UMES clientele service values of integrity, commitment, accountability, respect and excellence.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three current, professional references to include e-mail address and telephone number. All applicants must apply using the new online application system. Please click Apply Now to submit resume. The successful candidate must be able to accept employment in the United States without Employer Immigration sponsorship.
UMES is an EEO/AA employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate must be able to show acceptable documentation establishing the right to accept employment in the United States of America without employer sponsorship.