Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Operational Excellence Partner (Business Process Improvement Leader)
Join one of the nations premier academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine (UCM). The Operational Excellence Department has an outstanding opportunity for an Operational Excellence Partner to coach, mentor and train across all levels of the UCM organization on the principles of process improvement and high-performance management. This position is based on-site at Hyde Park, with remote flexibility.
In this role, the Operational Excellence Partner will provide support across the University of Chicago Health System, including the Medical Center and Community Health and Hospital Division. The Operational Excellence Partner will engage staff, and team, with leaders, to improve operational performance and drive cultural change. The improvement focus encompasses management system processes and operational work processes in clinical, support and administrative areas, with the aim of enhancing care delivery and patient experience. The position reports to the Director of Operational Excellence.
Essential functions and Responsibilities
- Utilizes business skills and insights to guide leadership and staff in achieving stated business objectives and organizational transformation. Possesses solid knowledge of operations, successful approaches for organizational change and sustainment, and strong business acumen.
- Coaches leaders in systems thinking, management system design, deployment and change management, process analysis/improvement, workflow design and optimization. Provides project management skills working with teams to develop and execute improvement roadmaps, drive metrics and sustain process improvement.
- Leads, supports and prepares teams to conduct process improvement activities using appropriate tools and methods such as 5S, Standard Work, Managing for Daily Improvement, Value Stream Analysis, Process Flow Mapping, Problem Solving as well as other Lean and quality improvement tools.
- Demonstrates ability to collect, analyze and communicate business data with leadership and front-line teams. Coaches teams on the use of data analysis to identify the impact of solutions and quantify financial and operational impacts of change.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work consists of a variety of duties involving a broad range of activities or in-depth analysis for a highly specialized field of work.
- Span of responsibilities, as assigned, may encompass support for service lines, clinical and procedural areas, and patient care areas across the University of Chicago Health System. Locations of service include Hyde Park and locations throughout the greater Chicagoland area. The Operational Excellence Partner is expected to travel based on work assignments.
- Scope of responsibilities include coordination, collaboration and facilitation of teams across numerous functional disciplines and organizations within the Medical Center, Community Health and Hospital Division, Biological Sciences Division and Pritzker School of Medicine.
- Significant impact on a major portion of UCM activities affecting a large number of people on a long-term or continuing basis.
You will thrive in this position if you:
Create Value you gather insights into what creates value; promote ongoing evaluation of the patient and customer circumstances, expectations and needs. You determine the processes, systems and behaviors that directly impact how the patient and customer feel. You proactively improve, through ones role, the patient and customer experience; consistently positions the value of UCMC so the patient and customer recommend us to their family, friends and community.
Deliver Results you identify issues, problems and opportunities; proactively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gather and examine information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluate options by considering implications and consequences; choose an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
Embrace Change you treat change and new situations as opportunities for learning or growth; identify the benefits and risks of change. You quickly modify behavior to deal effectively with change; remain effective during times of ambiguity and uncertainty. You honor the need in others to ask questions, and help others overcome resistance.
Communicate with Impact you focus on the message of others, provide undivided attention, and defer judgment. You convey messages logically, simply, and with confidence. You check for understanding by asking questions, seeking clarity and responding accordingly.
- Ability to partner and communicate effectively with senior leaders to formulate, develop and support execution of business transformation plans.
- 3-5 years of previous process / performance improvement experience, with focus on operational change, implementation of lean and quality improvement principles, and facilitation of Kaizen / Rapid Improvement Events. 6-10 years preferred.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent training acquired via work experience or education. Masters preferred.
- Requires a high level of adaptability and interpersonal skills.
- Oral and written communication skills, presentation skills, strength in group and process facilitation.
- Microsoft Outlook, SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Visio.
- Travel required.
- Job Type/FTE: Full Time
- Shift: Days
- Location: Chicago, IL (Hyde Park/Remote Flexible)
- Unit/Department: 370046, Operational Excellence
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Must comply with UCMCs COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.Why Join Us
Weve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment with patients and with each other. Were in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If youd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, were doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
- Business Performance Management
- Business Planning
- Business Process Improvement
- Change Management