To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Melbourne, FL 32935
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Engineer II Manufacturing (2nd shift)
DRS Technologies Inc • Melbourne, FL
Posted 15 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security. Headquartered in Crystal City, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo, which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS NIS is located on the East coast of Florida in Melbourne. DRS NIS is a leading designer and manufacturer of highly engineered, technically advanced, defense electronics for U.S. and allied international military and intelligence agency applications. DRS NIS manufactures rugged communications interfaces serving military Command, Control, Communications, Computer, Intelligence and Surveillance (C4ISR) initiatives. Products include hand-held devices, targeting scopes, night vision optics, laptop computers and vehicle-mounted systems supporting man-portable and fighting vehicle applications. DRS’s specialty is equipment that allows communication between broad spectrums of battlefield interfaces.
Job title- Engineer II Manufacturing (2nd shift)
DRS NIS has a unique opportunity for a Manufacturing Engineer Level II to join a high performance production engineering team in our Melbourne Florida facility. This position is working with electro-optical systems, infrared systems, ruggedized network computers and displays for military platforms that can be deployed and subjected to harsh environments. The candidate is responsible for implementing cost efficient manufacturing methods to include setup of new production tooling and equipment, as well as develop processes to instruct manufacturing department personnel. Manufacturing process knowledge will be used to assess costing data of parts and assemblies and will work closely with engineering, program management, supply chain, and manufacturing on new development and existing production products to achieve objectives in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Applies advanced engineering principles to perform routine design, fabrication, modification and/or evaluation in support of manufacturing operations.
- Partners with design engineering to ensure product designs are manufacturable.
- Responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing any special processes, tools, and/or equipment to support manufacturing of product.
- Responsible for the product assembly process, work cell design, and training of personnel. (Includes prototype, first article builds, and production builds).
- Resolving product issues on the line and working with the appropriate functional engineering teams, as necessary, to get them resolved in a timely manner.
- Provides input to Operations and Program Management for Manufacturing Readiness activities to ensure yield and cost targets are achieved.
- Collect, analyze, and report product performance metrics for the factory including key performance measures (factory yields).
- Familiarity with assembly documentation drawings and interpretation of engineering drawings.
- Familiar with New Product Integration (NPI) roles and responsibilities.
- Support manufacturing in DXF and DFMA initiatives.
- Creates and updates assembly instructions, conducts technical studies, analyzes data for root cause and corrective action (RCCA), and provide analysis or tests in the development of manufacturing operations.
- Sets up and maintains the Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) (i.e., DMES, ATE, AEGIS) to control the process and configuration of the “As-Built” product and to ensure the configuration matches the approved configuration in the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) systems (i.e., PDMLink and Omnify).
- Works with the design team and executes NPI responsibilities for new development efforts. (DFx, Assembly Instructions, Configuration Control, Work Center development, tooling/fixtures and assembly equipment creation/fabrication, etc…).
- “Hands on” approach during NPI builds and RCCA activities to assist in the successful development and qualification of new products.
- Development of manufacturing operations including factory layout and workflow.
- Work with suppliers to optimize their manufacturing processes as it relates to what they produce for the company.
- Evaluate, recommend, and transition products from design to manufacturing to minimize production costs.
- Maintain and improve manufacturing process documentation to effectively communicate design intent to the manufacturing operators.
- Provide design to cost leadership utilization value engineering concepts and ensuring producibility capability, to include supplier engagement activities.
- Provides support to production lines and team members to also include continuous improvement activities.
- Interpretation and analysis of engineering drawings and tolerances.
Basic Qualifications (include education and years of experience required)
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or equivalent work experience in an applicable engineering field with 8+ years of experience or equivalent combination of education/training and experience.
- Proficient in MS office products that include MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Proficient with Pro-e Creo 3D Viewer or equivalent required.
- Proficient with Pro-E or Solidworks CAD Tool experience required.
- Knowledge of Lean Six Sigma preferred.
- Experience with EOIR and Network computing products is preferred.
- Will have to support 2nd shift.
Physical Requirements (Lifting, Walking, Bending, Stooping kneeling etc):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, climb, bend, lift, stand, and stoop.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
DRS Technologies, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #LEL #EOIS