Flexible position for nursing students looking to gain hands-on patient care experience.
The Patient Care Technician assists the patient care team in provision of basic daily care to patients and support of significant others. Performs various service duties and routine technical tasks such as assisting patients with basic hygiene and daily living activities. Maintains patient care areas in a clean and orderly condition. Provides nursing care, which is appropriate for the age and development of the patient.
The Patient Care Technician consistently demonstrates support of the SRAlab statement of Mission and Philosophy by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Patient Care Technician demonstrates SRAlab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and SRAlab Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
- Plans for completion of daily activities consistent with the plan of care to achieve pre-established long and short-term goals as directed by the registered nurse.
- Incorporates factors related to safety into delivery of patient care as directed by the registered nurse.
- Implements interventions consistent with the plan of care as directed by a registered nurse.
- Orients the patient/family to the environment, therapeutic activities, and potential safety hazards and prevention strategies as identified by the registered nurse.
- Maintains a clean safe working environment.
- Participates in patient care activities as a member of the interdisciplinary team, and works collaboratively with others.
- Performs, assists and/or supervises the patient in personal care activities such as hygiene and grooming, skin care, ingestion of food and fluids, elimination of body wastes, mobilization and dressing/undressing in compliance with the Plan of Care.
- Demonstrates competency in applying the principles of the growth and development of infant, child, adolescent, young adult, middle-aged adult and geriatric patients as measured by specific performance standards and as outlined by polices and procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to transfer and position patient’s effectively using proper body mechanics and safety techniques.
- Performs and records routine technical tasks
as authorized, such as collecting routine specimens, taking T-P-R and BP, collecting and recording intake and output and blood glucose, giving suppositories, performing intermittent catheterization, measure bladder volume, hang gastric feedings to gravity and with pumps, escorting patients, and other tasks as identified on Patient Care Technician skills checklist.
- Observes patients and reports reactions or changes in condition immediately to registered nurse.
- Assists in transferring patients and patient care equipment to other specified areas adhering to necessary safety precautions.
- Collects and reports pertinent physiological, psychological, and functional data based on patient plan of care or patient need.
- Utilizes the current computer system appropriately to document functional care, procedures, and quantitative values.
- Assists in monitoring supply needs to ensure adequate inventory at bedside.
- Assists in improving the patient/family environment by utilizing appropriate cognitive/perceptual techniques, promoting independence and facilitating positive self-image and communication skills.
- Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of SRAlab.
- Nurse Manager or designee.
- Indirectly reports to registered nurse involved with care of patients.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Current enrollment in an accredited nursing program required.
- Work requires successful completion of the Patient Care Technician orientation.
- Communicates effectively using timely verbal, non-verbal and written communication.
- Proactively takes ownership for serving the customer, team, and organization for achieving goals and for resolving problems. Consistently does whatever it takes to ensure individual, departmental/team and organizational excellence.
- Willingly adapts to changing work demands and work environment.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and makes sound judgments to monitor and respond to patient needs or changes in condition.
- Anticipates assesses and addresses the needs of patients, internal and external customers to positively influence the patient/customer experience (directly or indirectly).
- Ability to transfer and position patients, consistent with lifting up to 35 lbs.
- Normal patient care environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
- Exposure to moderately adverse working conditions in performing certain patient care activities.
- Occasional exposure to infectious diseases when working with patients.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
SRAlab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this position, please click "APPLY NOW"
and you will be sent to our online application.
We ask you to please take a few minutes to fill out the application.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Complex Problem Solving