No industry is moving faster than health care. And no organization is better positioned to lead health care forward. We need attention to every detail with an eye for the points no one has considered. The rewards for performance are significant. You’ll help improve the health of millions. And you’ll do your life’s best work.
UnitedHealth Group’s Supplier Diversity & Sustainability team is responsible for developing and executing the supplier diversity and supply chain sustainability strategies in alignment with UHG’s mission and broader strategic objectives.
The Manager, Supplier Diversity & Sustainability, will assist the Senior Director, Supplier Diversity & Sustainability and the Associate Director, Supplier Diversity, in the management and continuous improvement of UnitedHealth Group’s enterprise supplier diversity and sustainability initiatives. The role includes responsibility for developing processes, procedures and reporting specific to diverse spend across the enterprise. The role will also support the development and execution of comprehensive strategies for supply chain sustainability.
This position reports through Enterprise Sourcing and Procurement (ES&P) in UnitedHealth Group and engages with all aspects of the business, including both United Healthcare and Optum.
- Support the execution, management and maintenance of strategically aligned Supplier Diversity and Sustainability Programs; drive continuous improvement toward best-in-class capabilities
- Assist with diversity spend and sustainability reporting and analysis; continually seek to improve existing reporting processes while promoting best business practices
- Facilitate supplier diversity & sustainability benchmarking with targeted companies and research & advisory firms to identify best practices for implementation at UnitedHealth Group
- Provide event management for diversity and sustainability conferences, trade shows and procurement meetings
- Conduct annual sustainability surveys with key supply chain partners to evaluate policies, practices and reporting protocols
- Support the Senior Director, Supplier Diversity & Sustainability and the Associate Director, Supplier Diversity in diverse business community outreach with diverse suppliers and key local, national and international advocacy organizations; serve as a liaison to these external organizations
- Promote the use of diverse vendors while seeking to reduce costs, improve quality & service and minimize business risk in conjunction with ES&P’s category teams and business partners
- Support supplier development programming, including planning, execution and program evaluation
- Support the completion of all external sustainability reporting activities, social responsibility surveys and other aspects related to sustainable procurement
- Partner with the Corporate Communications team in the development of internal / external supplier diversity and sustainability communications
- Develop collaborative relationships with category managers, key stakeholders and suppliers. Share accountability for driving and delivering results through agreed upon strategies
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- A Bachelor’s Degree required or equivalent
- 3+ years of business or corporate experience in supply chain management, procurement
- Knowledge of supplier diversity and supplier sustainability programs
- Ability to manage a matrix of external outreach and programming with coverage across corporate functions and business units
- Strong project management experience; ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks
- Good business process knowledge, especially in relation to procurement and / or category management
- Outcome oriented with bias for action and ability to follow-through and meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, specifically for executive level presentation (Word and PowerPoint)
- Comfort with public speaking, in order to present to and educate supplier diversity and/or supplier sustainability partners
- Ability to conduct industry and functional research and concisely synthesize findings
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel. Ability to perform supplier diversity and sustainability analysis
- Travel domestically up to 25% as required
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting or other company location, however, may be required to work from home temporarily due to space limitations.
- Professional experience with supplier diversity and supplier sustainability programs
- Demonstrated knowledge of and relationships with diverse supplier advocacy groups (e.g., NMSDC, WBENC, Disability:IN, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of sustainability reporting frameworks and protocols (e.g., Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), etc.)
Already Fortune 7, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Manager, Supplier, Diversity, Minnetonka, MN
Benchmarking (Project Management)