Teledyne Technologies Incorporated provides enabling technologies for industrial growth markets that require advanced technology and high reliability. These markets include aerospace and defense, factory automation, air and water quality environmental monitoring, electronics design and development, oceanographic research, deepwater oil and gas exploration and production, medical imaging and pharmaceutical research. Our products include digital imaging sensors, cameras and systems within the visible, infrared and X-ray spectra, monitoring and control instrumentation for marine and environmental applications, harsh environment interconnects, electronic test and measurement equipment, aircraft information management systems, and defense electronics and satellite communication subsystems. We also supply engineered systems for defense, space, environmental and energy applications. We differentiate ourselves from many of our direct competitors by having a customer and company-sponsored applied research center that augments our product development expertise. Teledyne’s operations are primarily located in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Western and Northern Europe.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Business Intelligence Analyst is responsible for the design and support of business intelligence applications. Works with business and IT senior management to understand and prioritize data and information requirements. Solves complex technical problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities may include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Generates ad hoc reports and regular datasets or report information for end-users using system tools and database or data warehouse queries and scripts
- Integrates data from multiple sources (ETL-Extract, Transform and Load) to produce requested or required data elements
- Programs and maintains report forms and formats, information dashboards, data generators, canned reports and other end-user information portals or resources
- Optimizes the performance of enterprise business intelligence tools by defining data to filter and index that add value to the user
- Creates testing methodology and criteria
- May create specifications for reports based on business requests
- Creates process flows, detailed design documents and end user procedures
- Leads training sessions for users in-house and remotely on various tool sets
- Drives strategic business decision making through detailed analytics, insights and real-time reporting on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and financial results
- Conducts data audits to verify data accuracy and ensures data quality
- Uses reporting tools such as SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS, Crystal Reports, Excel, etc.
- Develops standards, policies and procedures for the form, structure and attributes of the business intelligence tools and systems
- Develops data/information quality metrics
- Responds to high-priority, critical reporting requests as needed
- Daily availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals and deadlines
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities, but provides technical leadership to lower level Applications Developers/Analysts. This includes, but is not limited to training employees, planning, assigning, directing work and resolving technically related work problems. It also includes interaction with other technical teams (e.g. server team, client team, applications team, support team, etc.).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in a related field and 10-15 years of information technology experience with a programming or development focus and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Full knowledge of professional concepts and the ability to use this knowledge toward development of theories and methods
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Advanced knowledge and thorough understanding of:
- Information technology reporting tools
- Cube design and MDX (cube query language)
- Programming languages, such as SQL, TSQL, or PLSQL
- Relational Database Design (3rd normal form)
- Relational vs multidimensional vs in-memory design concepts
- A Tier I or II ERP system (Oracle, SAP, IFS, AX …)
- Advanced skills using ETL tools (SSIS, Informatica …)
- Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Outlook, Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.)
- IT security concepts
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication abilities with all levels of management, employees, and customers, ability to communicate and explain information efficiently
- Ability to create clear and detailed documentation
- Can organize and write about projects and prepare and present a coherent, confident, concise and articulate briefing, with minimal review needed
- Proactively communicates knowledge to others, enhancing their work
- Answers questions clearly and succinctly
- Develops solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation. Ensures solutions are consistent with organization objectives.
- Ability to travel as needed
Extract Transform Load (Etl)
Multi Dimensional E Xpressions
Business Intelligence Tools