Sign-on bonus eligible for qualified candidates with 1+ years of experience; $3,000.00
VIDEO INTERVIEW REQUIRED
To be considered for next steps in the interview process, we require all Staff Nurse applicants for positions in our Medical Surgical Units to introduce themselves to us with a digital video interview. (Applicants that are current employees of Connecticut Children's do not need to complete a video interview.) Please complete your application, and then return to this page to complete your digital video interview.
Click Here to take the first step in your interview process with us, now!
MS8 is a team oriented, fast paced, 24 bed, inpatient floor. Our team works closely with multiple specialty areas to provide compassionate care, innovative treatment options, and novel clinical therapies to children and young adults affected by cancer and blood disorders. Our staff are provided a strong foundation for caring for this population by offering both Hem/Onc Foundations classes and Chemotherapy/Biotherapy classes. We value continuity of care and build strong relationships with our patients and their families.
Under general supervision, assumes 24-hour accountability to plan and provide direct professional nursing care for specified patients throughout the entire episode of service delivery as defined by population and unit. Provides nursing services to patients and families in accordance with the standards of practice of a professional nurse, Connecticut Children's policies & procedures, TJC, and State & federal regulations. Reports to Nurse Manager.
CLINICAL PRACTICE - On a daily basis, demonstrates clinical expertise and uses the nursing process to provide safe, appropriate patient care to a defined patient population according to CCMC and unit policies and standards.
POPULATION SPECIFIC - Demonstrates knowledge of the differences and needs of patients in appropriate, specific populations from neonate through adolescence and applies them to practice. Demonstrates cultural sensitivity in all interactions with patients/families.
UNIT LEADERSHIP - Delegates duties and tasks associated with patient care to clinical staff according to hospital policy and their scope of practice. As assigned, contributes to the leadership of the unit by functioning as the Resource Nurse and/or by participating in the professional development of others through preceptor/mentor activities. Supports the unit/department's work productivity and resource management activities.
DOCUMENTATION/COMMUNICATION - Completes all required documentation in a timely manner, according to CCMC policies and standards; necessary information is effectively communicated to all members of the health care team.
PATIENT/FAMILY PARTNERSHIP & EDUCATION - Partners with child and family in evaluating outcomes. Monitors, trends, and evaluates patient/family responses to treatment. Provides appropriate education to patients and families regarding all aspects of care according to CCMC policies and standards; supports the organization's efforts to patient/family education.
CCMC STANDARDS - Demonstrates support for the mission, values and goals of the organization through behaviors that are consistent with the CCMC Standards.
* Must possess a degree from an accredited nursing program for registered nurses. BSN preferred. If ADN, BSN must be acquired within 3 years of hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Theory, principles, techniques and practice of professional nursing;
- State regulations regarding nursing practice;
- Clinical standards of care; documentation and patient record policies and standards
- Teaching techniques; identification of learning needs and provision of patient/family education
- Developmental and population-specific patient & family assessment techniques and how to apply to practice
- Accreditation and certification requirements and standards
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Basic proficiency in utilization of personal computers in networked Windows-based health care environment to access related software applications; locate, open, edit and print files and information utilized by the unit; and use of Internet as research tool
- Work individually or with within teams and/or other organizations within the medical and research community;
- Make clinical and procedural decisions using the nursing process
- Maintain confidentiality of information
- Delegate appropriately to ancillary staff
- Communicate effectively with individuals and groups both orally and in writing.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- Clinical Practices
- Clinical Works
- Diversity Awareness