The purpose of this position is to coordinate the movement of livestock from receiving area to the holding pens.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:Sorts butchers according to quality and weight.Maintains animal identification by assigning tattoo numbers and/or tagging all hogs including any dead or non-ambulatory hogs.Maintains head count and weight of hogs received at the plant.Identifies hogs for pricing that may be on Contracts or pricing formulas.Maintains relationship with truckers and ensures livestock are handled properly.Inputs information into the computer system as the hogs are received to allow for Pricing and payment to producers and truckers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Associate’s Degree in Meat Science, Animal Science or related field and 1+ years of livestock buying and receiving experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree ,preferred.
- Experience in the agriculture industry such as meat judging, preferred.
- Computer literacy knowledge including: all aspects of Microsoft Office, especially Excel, preferred.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize daily work assignments and manage time wisely.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50-75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Target Customer Needs