CliftonLarsonAllen (CLA) CLA Search has been retained by Global Down Syndrome Foundation to identify a Sr. Staff Accountant to serve their team.
Does This Sound Like You?
Does your current role challenge to do your best work of your life AND to leave lasting, transformational impact on others around you every day? Do you feel a strong sense of togetherness with your team and a commitment to a greater purpose?
If you are you a mission-driven, creative accounting leader who believes you can leave a lasting impression on the world through what you do every day, we’d like to talk to you!
About Our Client:
Global Down Syndrome Foundation (GLOBAL) is a public non-profit 501(c)(3) dedicated to significantly improving the lives of people with Down syndrome through Research, Medical Care, Education and Advocacy. Formally established in 2009, GLOBAL’s primary focus is to support the [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Sr. Staff Accountant, the first academic home in the United States committed solely to research and medical care for people with Down syndrome.
Since Down syndrome is the least-funded genetic condition in the United States, fundraising and government advocacy to correct the alarming disparity of national funding for people with Down syndrome is a major goal. GLOBAL’s primary activity is in Colorado and the DC-area, although GLOBAL has members from over 40 states and two countries and supporters around the world.
To learn more, click here: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Sr. Staff Accountant
Our Mission, Vision and Values
Our goal is to significantly improve the lives of people with Down syndrome through Research, Medical Care, Education and Advocacy. We work to educate governments, educational organizations, and society, to affect legislative and social changes so that every person with Down syndrome has an equitable chance at a satisfying life.
Key areas of work are:
- Campaign and Major Gifts Fundraising
- Events Management and Annual Fundraising
- Government Advocacy
- Public Relations, Marketing & Communications
- Community Outreach; Membership Program, Health and Wellness Programs and special projects
What You’ll Do:
The Sr. Staff Accountant (SSA) will play an integral role in providing general accounting support for GLOBAL. Primary functions include assisting with various financial reports and special projects as needed. The Sr. Staff Accountant will have a strong work ethic and an energetic self-starter. The SSA will collaborate with GLOBAL’S management and database teams. The role reports directly to the President & CEO in conjunction with our Sr. Finance Consultant.
Financial Reporting, Planning & Compliance
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations including merchant account activity; reconcile general ledger accounts
- Calculate and record monthly journal entries for in-kind donations from sister organization
- Manage and coordinate, with President/CEO and Sr. Finance Consultant, the annual budgeting process (annual gala, health & wellness programs, education, and scientific symposiums)
- Provide monthly financials statements (budget to actual) to President/CEO and department heads and high-level financials for the Board of Directors in collaboration with the Sr. Finance Consultant
- Provide ad-hoc financial reporting (e.g. historical event reports) as requested by President & CEO
- Manage the annual financial audit, including preparation of needed schedules
- Complete timely filings of financial/tax reports and legal reports as required including appropriate Federal/State requirements. File quarterly sale tax reports
- Maintain registrations/certifications in multiple states, ensuring compliance with state nonprofit reporting requirements.
- Update accounting manual, documenting accounting policies, controls, and procedures & accounting records
Revenue and Accounts Receivable
- Review checks and credit card donations ensuring accuracy of each donation including proper classification for Database Manager’s input into Raiser’s Edge system.
- Partner with Database Manager to reconcile donations between financial records and Raiser’s Edge database
- Collaborate with Database Manager to manage and fulfill GLOBAL’s memberships
- Process vendor invoices ensuring proper invoice approval, account coding, expenditure is within budget and in accordance with contract, if any, and invoices are paid in a timely manner.
- Obtaining W-9 information on all new vendors and issuing 1099s
Payroll & 401(k) Plan (Collaboration w/ Paychex vendor)
- Process biweekly payroll
- Manage enrollment in health and dental benefits, as well as 401(k) plan for new employees and handle such benefits when staff events happen
- Perform 401(k) testing (i.e. highly compensated employees, etc.) and ensure compliance with required reporting
- Manage the worker’s compensation and payroll audits
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics; 3-5 years of accounting experience in a nonprofit organization
- Technical Proficiencies; Microsoft Suite, Accounting and Database software; Intacct and Raiser’s Edge highly preferred
- Proven track record in managing the accounting function; budgeting, reporting, AP, AR, GL, JE’s
- Exceptional communication skills; verbal and written
- Hands-on experience supporting the audit process; partnering with external auditors
- Knowledge of revenue and expense allocations and budget tracking
- Familiarity with budgeting forecast models, providing user friendly reports and presenting to non-finance professionals
- Track record in identifying best practices, process improvement and implementation of such plans
- Skilled in financial standards, GAAP, reporting procedures, business, and administrative practices
- High ethical standards: confidentiality, sound judgement and ability to handle high pressure situations
- Proven ability to analyze on-going website performance establishing KPIs for each landing page with timely reporting to the field to meet revenue and budget deliverables
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles