To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Lufkin, TX
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
VP of Transportation & Logistics
ExecuNet • Lufkin, TX
Posted 2 months ago
Company seeks an experienced Vice President, Transportation and Logistics. The Vice President of Transportation and Logistics is accountable for operational effectiveness in service, cost, safety, people and capacity across Canada and the US. This role is responsible setting operational goals, results and strategy. Ongoing interaction with peer VP's, key corporate and management team members and colleagues to ensure this department is prepared to meet all service requirements for the short term and for the future. One position is available with a preferred location of Pennsylvania, Kansas or Texas, however other locations will be considered.
- Partner with Sr. leadership team to develop and lead Transportation business strategy for all product categories (Ties, Poles, Lumber, other materials).
- Leadership for North America truck, rail and water freight, Finished Goods Yards, Carrier Performance Management, Customs Compliance, Trade Programs, Transportation in support of the North America Supply Chain's strategic plans.
- Lead initiatives to improve transportation and logistics services (Internal and external freight movement) in the areas of quality, speed to market, reliability, execution to plan and overall customer service.
- Partner with Sales and Procurement to negotiate international and domestic carrier and service provider contracts.
- Ensures compliance with U. S. and Canadian laws related to import/export transportation activities.
- Represents the company with government agencies regarding transportation compliance policies.
- Develops logistics strategies and optimizes the logistics network and processes for new and existing businesses.
- Collaborates across the NA Supply Chain and with Stella Jones Customers to optimize on-time-performance, inventory levels, and cost.
- Ensure open communication exists throughout the business and that senior executives are kept abreast of issues in the areas of safety, transportation, logistics; distribution, transportation, planning and human resources.
- Ensure that each region and facility operate in compliance with all stated company policy and procedures, and adhere to the company's mission, vision and values statements.
- Ensure consistent practices and processes used across all Regions, such as corporate requirements in the area of asset management, financial reporting, human relations, state and local government regulations.
- Provide for, and give operational input to strategic business planning, consideration of technology, innovation, or process changes in existing and future facilities.
- Look for opportunities to use "best in practice" techniques for transportation operations.
- Oversees transportation budgets; reviews performance to budget; monitors, consolidates analysis, and reports budget variances.
- Develop initiatives with Sr. leadership to improve cost performance and profitability.
- Work with and support Sales to increase existing and future business.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or eight to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: 10 - 15 years of work related activities in the transportation industry, specifically in the bulk transportation sector. Preference for experience with a company that managed a fleet of company-owned-leased: trucks, transload facilities, and/or railcars.
- Knowledge of transportation operations including: asset management, transportation management, system management, government (DOT/FRA) regulation and compliance, budgeting and expense analysis.
- Business and intellectual competencies including: industry knowledge and understanding, negotiating, strategic and tactical planning, warehousing and logistics, problem analysis, written and oral communication, people development, visioning and creativity.
- Interpersonal competencies including: Integrity and trust, adaptability, leadership, motivation ability, coaching and mentoring, political savvy and initiative.
- Bachelor's Degree (Advanced degree MBA preferred) in any of the following disciplines: Logistics, Distribution, Engineering, Industrial Management, and Finance.
- 10 to 15 years of progressive responsibility within the distribution or logistics discipline combined with proven transportation leadership experience.
- Exposure to operating multiple accounts and facilities in a dedicated or private fleet environment, using transportation management systems spanning across multiple regions.
- Experience with prospecting and evaluating potential customers for future business opportunities.
- Experience with all aspects of complex transportation operations start-ups.
- Extensive P&L management experience.
- Knowledge of rail, truck, and water transportation equipment required.
- Knowledge of wood poles, lumber, and loading procedures preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to travel 50%+