Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
Best Buddies is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Our programs empower the special abilities of people with IDD by helping them form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy, and communication skills, and feel valued by society.
Job Title: Senior Director, Federal Government Relations
Department: Government Relations
Reports to: Vice President, Government Relations
Position Overview: The Senior Director, Federal Government Relations, is responsible for securing federal funding for Best Buddies.
Job Requirements – Qualified applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s degree and seven years of legislative or government agency experience, particularly appropriations and or government grants
- Superior research skills and ability to understand data from disability programs and how it affects Best Buddies
- Outstanding attention to detail, including the ability to review and edit complex materials and interpret them for others
- Experience training and mentoring staff, including leading staff training workshops
- Superior persuasive writing skills with the ability to articulate the mission, goals, and activities of Best Buddies with enthusiasm
- Superior presentation skills with the ability to persuasively articulate the mission, goals, and activities of Best Buddies with enthusiasm
- Strong project management skills - including planning, analysis, decision making, and problem solving - and willingness to multitask
- Experience engaging with elected and appointed government officials and staff at the federal level
- Must be comfortable with national travel as needed and willing to work evenings and weekends as necessary in order to accomplish job responsibilities
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with state and program teams across the organization to ensure alignment with the Best Buddies’ mission
- Working with the direction of the Vice President, Government Relations, design and pursue strategies to secure federal funding through legislation, Congressionally Directed Spending, and competitive grants
- Ensure that strategy is articulated to key staff members so that we speak with one voice in regards to our goals
- Serve as staff expert on federal funds available to Best Buddies through direct federal appropriations and federal agency grants, as well as state developmental disability councils, IDEA Part B funds, and CDBG grants
- Monitor The Federal Register and Grants.gov for competitive grant opportunities
- Follow the Best Buddies compliance process, including creating detailed project sheets and disseminating to relevant staff
- Edit all grant project sheets, applications, and program reports for accuracy, comprehensiveness, and maximum effectiveness
- Prepare proposals and application materials for assigned grants, ensuring timely and accurate submission
- Communicate with other departments to secure information needed for government work on proposals, reporting, and contract renewals
- Schedule and staff meetings with elected officials and agency staff when needed, including documenting outcomes and conducting follow-up
- Prepare state and expansion staff to present Best Buddies to state developmental disabilities councils and state special education advisory committees
- Creates, organizes, and disseminates studies and other materials which document Best Buddies as a key partner with government agencies in achieving inclusive schools, workplaces, and communities
- Manage all outreach, including Capitol Hill Day as needed
- Manage special projects and additional duties as assigned
Best Buddies® is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EOE and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are foundational to Best Buddies International’s core values and help the organization continue to achieve its mission. Here at Best Buddies, our goal is to lead and advocate for a more inclusive world.
Best Buddies offers a comprehensive and generous benefits programs that include financial security, health and wellness and time off.