Coding Auditor/Trainer (HIM) - PIH Health Hospital - Whittier, CA
Coding Auditor/Trainer (HIM) Position Summary:
The Coding Auditor/Trainer is responsible for auditing health records to determine whether the code assignment is substantiated by provider documentation for inpatient and ambulatory hospital based encounters. Analyzes data from PEPPER and ICD-10 reports to identify trends and educational opportunities. Develops and presents coding and documentation education materials concerning ICD-9 CM, ICD-10 CM and PCS, CPT, HCPCS, APC, DRG and coding guidelines to clinical, HIM coding, clinical documentation integrity and medical staff. Required skills include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrates expert technical knowledge of ICD-10-CM disease and procedural coding, CPT-4 and HCPCS procedural coding.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of anatomy and physiology and medical terminology.
- Knowledge of Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) and Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS) required.
- Knowledge of Case Mix Index required. Familiarity with computers, and encoding software and the general principles of medical record science is preferred.
- Use of Excel spreadsheet program is required.
- A high level of professionalism and effective communication skills is needed for interaction with physicians, physician office staff, hospital staff, patients and hospital visitors.
Coding Auditor/Trainer (HIM) Qualifications:
- Current American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) certification as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) is required.
- An Associate of Science or Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information from an approved AHIMA program is preferred.
- One-year experience in coding auditing in an acute hospital setting or experience with education/training in ICD- 10CM, CPT, and reimbursement methodologies.
- AHIMA approved ICD-10 trainer certificate preferred.
- Knowledge of clinical documentation integrity and experience using a computerized abstracting system is preferred.
- Experience in analysis of coded data and presentation of findings required.
PIH Health is a nonprofit, regional healthcare network with two hospitals, numerous outpatient medical offices, a multispecialty medical (physician) group, home healthcare services and hospice care, as well as heart, cancer and emergency services. Our leadership is dedicated to putting patients first-a cornerstone of our mission, vision and values-as we deliver top-quality healthcare.
Please Click APPLY to submit your resume for consideration