Focused on labor and employment law since 1958, Jackson Lewis P.C.'s 950+ attorneys located in major cities nationwide consistently identify and respond to new ways workplace law intersects business. We help employers develop proactive strategies, strong policies and business-oriented solutions to cultivate high-functioning workforces that are engaged, stable and diverse, and share our clients' goals to emphasize inclusivity and respect for the contribution of every employee.
The Firm is ranked in the First Tier nationally in the category of Labor and Employment Litigation, as well as in both Employment Law and Labor Law on behalf of Management, in the U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms".
This position is located in our Los Angeles, CA.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The position is primarily a traditional labor position representing employers but will also include advice and counsel work with employers regarding federal and California workplace laws and other assignments, as needed. From time to time, the position may also involve due diligence of employer operations for workplace law issues in conjunction with acquisitions/mergers.
- All facets of Traditional Labor Relations, including:
- Handling unfair labor practice charges at the National Labor Relations Board ("NLRB")
- Researching and writing;
- Representing management in NLRB elections;
- Providing legal advice to employers regarding union organizing, corporate campaigns, card check and neutrality agreements;
- Negotiating and/or providing legal advice regarding collective bargaining agreements;
- Handling grievance, arbitration and unfair labor practice proceedings;
- Obtaining mass picketing injunctions;
- Advising employers on federal and California wage and hour issues, leave management, disability accommodating issues and other workplace issues;
- Reviewing handbooks, policies and forms for compliance with federal and state law;
- Reviewing compensation, commission and bonus plans;
- Conducting management training regarding labor relations, federal and California workplace issues and, harassment, discrimination and retaliation; and
- Other duties and responsibilities as reasonably assigned.
Skills and Educational Requirements:
- JD from accredited law school
- Minimum two years' experience in litigation or advice work as an attorney
- Traditional labor experience preferred
- Federal and/or California advice and counsel work preferred
- CA Bar Admission
- Understanding of current agency (state and federal) enforcement techniques preferred
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bilingual, English and Spanish, is preferred but not required
- May include regular business travel
Jackson Lewis understands that embracing our differences makes us a stronger, better firm. We appreciate the importance of having a workforce that reflects the various communities in which we work and we strive to create an inclusive environment where diverse employees want to work and where they can flourish professionally. In furtherance of our culture, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other characteristics protected by law. For those applying for a position in the city of Los Angeles, the firm will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
- Attention To Detail
- Collective Bargaining