The Technical Sales Writer is responsible for authoring a wide variety of content to support the needs of Oneida Technical Solutions’ growing Business Development team. We regularly transform dense technical subject matter and make it approachable to a non-technical business audience. Other times, your writing will need to hold up to the critical eye of a technologist or IT program manager. To be successful, you will need to know the difference, and how to combine the two styles when required. We are not looking for someone to write technical guides or user manuals – we need someone who can successfully sell our services and help win new business. The ideal candidate takes pride in making even the most challenging topics a pleasure to read, easy to consume, while being equally persuasive. You learn quickly; you might even be able to pass as a technologist, but you prefer the beauty of language over data. You relish the opportunity to convince others through your keyboard.
Some examples of writing include, but are not limited to, white papers, case studies, sales decks, infographics, Requests for Information (RFIs), capabilities briefs, and formal Requests for Proposals (RFPs). The successful candidate will have experience in B2B marketing, content production, and deeply technical environments, showcasing an ability to author new or edit existing content related to information cybersecurity, network and telecommunications engineering, and general IT support services, and successfully tailor it for the intended audience. Familiarity with federal and DoD contracting is preferred, but not required.
Applicants must submit a portfolio that showcases a variety of work, including at least one long-form authored piece such as a branded white paper or case study (understanding redactions may be necessary to maintain confidentiality). Submitted samples should reflect an understanding of enterprise-level information technology services, hardware or other highly technical subject matter.
- Author unique content pieces driven by the evolving needs of our Business Development team;
- Work closely with the Business Development team to research enterprise audiences and user personas;
- Interview SMEs to write about the application of OTS’ services in multiple industries;
- Write case studies and inform future business development efforts in key customer verticals;
- Contribute to the design, layout, and production of authored materials, including the creation of charts, diagrams, and other visual elements;
- Remain current with OTS’ services, products, and messaging to ensure our competitive advantage is clearly communicated and understood in proposals and client-facing material;
- Participate in all phases of the proposal process including proposal strategy planning, content writing and development, internal review, and production, making sure that all materials are client-focused and clearly articulates compelling business value;
- Reads and reviews RFIs and RFPs and ensures developed content is compliant with all instructions and criteria;
- From time-to-time, supports Operations by preparing presentation material or white papers.
- 3+ years professional experience as a technical writer or related role for B2B marketing or sales;
- Prior experience and passion for working within a technical environment, and regimented government sales process;
- Exceptional ability to translate complex topics into clear, concise, and compelling stories to educate and inspire decision makers across key industry verticals;
- Collaborate effectively with technical and non-technical teams to gather input from multiple stakeholders and drive business results;
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with dynamic objectives;
- Independently manage multiple projects from concept to publication under tight deadlines;
- Proficient in English with excellent grammatical skills and a solid understanding of style, structure and tone guidelines;
- Appreciation for visual storytelling and ability to work closely with designers to convey key messages with infographics, illustrations, or multimedia content;
- Proficiency using editorial and design tools for print and web, for example, Adobe or other creative suites.