Build a better career with MSC.
Serving customer and community starts with the very best people doing their very best work. That is precisely what we have at MSC Industrial Supply Co., a leading North American distributor of metalworking and maintenance, repair, and operations (MRO) products and services.
BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY:
The District Mgr, Customer Success will be responsible for leading and coaching multiple account management positions based on a geographical area to improve MSC’s market position and achieve financial growth and increased profitability within Emerging Mid-Market and Mid-Market customer locations by penetrating existing accounts. The District Mgr, Customer Success follows a formal coaching model with their account managers to embed and reinforce critical trained skills and continued skill development activity to increase deal size and reduce the sales cycle time. The District Mgr, Customer Success is responsible to hold account management team accountable to following MSC’s prescribed sales methodology and sales processes to ensure strength of account plan. The District Mgr, Customer Success will spend 3-5 hours per month per associate with a balanced coaching strategy of 50% towards skill development and 50% towards deal pursuit. The District Mgr, Customer Success will be responsible to assist with major presentations and deal negotiations.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Translate MSC’s strategy and go-to-market strategy into strategic plans with Account Management Team.
- Hold team accountable to follow the sales process and coverage model plan.
- Build a high impact team.
- Spend 3-5 hours per month per associate coaching as prescribed by MSC’s formal coaching process.
- Hold one-on-one meetings monthly with team to discuss performance to goal.
- Establishes clear and concise development programs for all associates to help them obtain their professional goals. This includes individual contributors, management candidates or others who desire to pursue other career opportunities with MSC.
- Responsible for team sales and contribution margin growth as budgeted annually. Proactively anticipates business changes and implements additional incremental growth programs as needed to surpass annual budgets for sales and contribution margin growth. Drives all MSC strategic initiatives for sales and contribution margin growth. Targets and aligns internal resources with targeted growth industry segments and customers.
- Leads by example in ever changing business climate while adapting quickly to new challenges and communicates effectively across all team members.
- Holds team accountable for maintaining consistent engagement on targeted customers.
- Proactively maintains working relationship with Business Development leadership team to align resources needed to meet customer needs. Specifically communicates resources needed to drive high compliant contracts.
- Effectively balance MSC’s best interest in terms and conditions against customer requirements. Communicate financial performance expectations and shortfalls across leadership teams. Takes initiative to renegotiate agreements with underperforming customers.
- Establishes and maintains a working relationship with key MSC Marketing, Product, and Accounting department associates to keep abreast of current and new products/services.
- Provides management with all required sales and expense reports.
- Supports and emphasizes a positive relationship between Business Development and MSC field leadership, corporate support liaisons and other MSC associates.
- Work closely with MSC sales leadership and Human Relations Business Partner to hold associates accountable to meet or surpass performance expectations.
- Provides training reinforcement and support as needed to position associates for success.
- Documents consistent under performance below job expectations on a regular basis and changes in behavior needed to drive associate success.
- Take corrective action up and including termination for associates consistently performing below expectations.
- Performs all duties inherent in the role of MSC Manager as defined by the MSC Code of Conduct including hiring, termination, review, and development of associates.
- Drives the MSC Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure unity of purpose and fulfillment of MSC’s mission.
- Participates in special projects and performs additional duties as required.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business preferred or equivalent experience.
- Two years sales experience negotiating agreements preferred or equivalent experience.
- Two years management experience leading business development teams or proven MSC strategic experience leading or participating on cross functional teams multiple times, while continuously accomplishing team goals. (i.e. Team building skills, leading projects, leadership development program, and mentor/coach others).
- Two years of demonstrating progressive growth in job competences and responsibilities.
- Proven track record of successfully achieving sales targets.
- Experience in managing account management teams or successful sales history selling to Emerging Mid-Market and Mid-Market customers
- Leadership change agent. Quickly adapts and leads others thru changes in business environment.
- Proven sales coach. Quickly analyzes associates selling strengths and weaknesses and coach to the critical skills following MSC’s coaching methodology.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills are required. Leads by example through proven ability to demonstrate required selling behaviors.
- Experience developing individual contributors and future leaders.
- Thrives in a competitive leadership role. Proven pattern of success in past accomplishments.
- Leadership style rewards success and holds associates accountable for performance
- Computer literacy and proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software is required.
- Finance and business acumen. Experience with financial based business proposals is a must.
- Strong organizational acumen. Significant experience working cross-functionally and removing barriers is a must.
- Strong people acumen. Significant experience developing associates is preferred.
- Strong strategic acumen. Significant experience connecting teams to the organizational strategy is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel extensively is required.
People. Collaboration. Insight. That’s how you build something that works.
Built on a foundation of trust, MSC works side by side with our customers to help them drive business results. With more than one million product offerings and 75+ years of experience across industries, MSC strives to help our customers achieve greater productivity, profitability, and growth through inventory management and other innovative supply chain solutions.
As one of America’s Best Large Employers (named in 2017 by Forbes magazine), we care about our associates and have programs in place to help our 6,000+ team members achieve their potential. When you join our team, you will receive rewards and recognition for your contributions, training and professional development opportunities, as well as a variety of benefits to support you and your family's health, well-being, and financial future.
If you are inspired to learn, take risks, and succeed as a team, you can build a better career at MSC.
Equal Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity.