COMPANY OVERVIEW: Catholic Charities is the social ministry outreach of the Archdiocese of Washington. We believe in strengthening the lives of all in need by giving help that empowers and hope that lasts. Catholic Charities works to create a world in
which every person is cherished, regardless of individual limitations, and strengthened in the use of personal gifts in order to reach his or her full potential as a valued member of the community. We are looking for exceptional people who share our vision
Inspiring Hope. Building Futures.
JOB SUMMARY:The PART - TIME Children Support Specialist is a direct support position focused on assisting children and adolescents with physical and developmental disabilities in the after-school program. The incumbent will provide support services to assist
in the achievement of the child’s Individualized Plan of Care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides instructional support through utilization of independent communication types or methods that have been determined by the family and/or student’s school (i.e. - PCS, voice box, sign language, etc.).
• Plans comprehensive lessons that utilize the student’s mode of learning to teach skills for increased independence in the home and the community (i.e. - hygiene, self-help skills, social skills, community safety, etc.).
• Organizes and plans innovative community outings, using the resources available, which provides the students with cultural, educational, social and recreational experiences that broaden their awareness within their surrounding community (i.e. - transportation,
businesses, libraries, museums, historical sites, etc.).
• Implements students’ Individual Plan/Treatment Plan (TP/IP) through creative and engaging activities that addresses the students’ goals and are appropriate based on the students’ cognitive level.
• Accurately documents progress made towards the goals identified in the TP/IP through daily progress notes, quarterly notes, and the students’ portfolios.
• Appropriately documents events as related to the students’ behavior management plan as appropriate.
• Informs the supervisor of scheduled changes (i.e. - calling in sick to work/day program, home visits with family, etc.).
• Participates in regular team meetings and monitoring of services to assure quality, compliance, and consumer satisfaction.
• Completes all training as required for the position to include professional development training outside of Catholic Charities as appropriate and required.
• Reports all incidents in accordance with both Catholic Charities and the Division of Developmental Disabilities Services’ Incident Reporting policies. Cooperates with investigations and participates in implementation of required Plan of Corrections, when
• Changing diapers, if necessary
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
• Coursework/Background in the following areas: Child Care, Education, Allied Health, Human Services, preferred.
• Experience working with students on the Autism Spectrum and/or students with cognitive delays.
• One year of experience working independently in the home and in the community as an instructor.
SKILLS and COMPETENCIES:
• Able to present information in English, both in written and oral form. Excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems.
• Must work positively with diverse client population and other employees.
• Must be flexible to work extended hours based on Program operational need.
• Valid driver license
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP URL blocked - click to apply.
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41