MBE Engineering Technician
Ducommun is a global provider of manufacturing and engineering services, developing innovative electronic, engineered and structural solutions for complex applications in aerospace, defense and industrial markets. Our full-service collaborative approach, broad capabilities and value-added services like new product introduction, supply chain strategies and program management deliver value for our customers and innovative solutions for their complex electronic and structural needs.
Job Summary & Essential Functions:
The following describes, in general terms, the purpose and scope of the Engineering Technician II position. As the focal point for engineering support, this position will be results oriented and will ensure industry standards are being followed, validate component manufacturability and make sure customer expectations are exceeded in relation to the specific engineering discipline assigned. Provides technical support for engineering.
Focal point for Engineering Support (as required based on discipline assigned):
Model Based Engineering:
- Develop & Generate drawings, images, video, and written instructions for
- Support implementation of innovative solutions.
- Work within the best practices.
Internal Communication and Interface:
- Perform tracking, distribution, preventative maintenance, repair and
calibration on tooling.
- Facilitate the process of identifying and purchasing new tools.
- Generate component models and catalog for future reference.
- Expand proficiency in major CAD/CAM/CAE/PLM/CMS systems.
- Generate models, both functional and conceptual, to support
customers and internal design efforts.
- Review drawings to ensure manufacturability as well as standards
External Communication and Interface:
- Support and promote company core values of honesty, professionalism, respect,
trust and teamwork and utilize the Ducommun Way methodology to achieve
- Being part of a larger team, this position will treat others with respect while
embracing new ideas, adopting best practices and working collaboratively
with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Support the engineering team through all required phases and gates of the
New Product Introduction process.
- As an authentic leader, provide mentoring to less experienced engineering
Product Integrity Support:
- In conjunction with engineers and program managers, work with customers
to provide support during product development and manufacture.
- Collaborate with external partners. Partnerships may be with customers,
distributors, machine shops, tool manufactures, educational facilities,
governance bodies, software and component manufactures.
- Ensure systems, configuration control methods, tooling, processes, work
instructions and Digital Product Definition support the requirements of the
Product Integrity Team.
- Participate in process audits.
- Participate in improvement activities with the Operational Excellence team.
- Participate in kaizen activities, RCCA and cost reduction initiatives.
Skills & Qualifications
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Focus on individual development of knowledge, skills and abilities - staying
current on industry standards, best practices, continuing education and
- May perform tasks typically associated with other Engineering functions as
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, qualifications, competencies, abilities and any physical demands if required. Physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential requirements of this job.
General Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Self-motivated with a professional attitude, initiative and focus.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities and meet customer
- Ability to plan, troubleshoot and resolve problems effectively.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering data.
- Strong cross-functional teamwork, collaboration, interpersonal, written and
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Intermediate computer skill in MS Office and similar toolsets.
- Good documentation skill; attention to detail is critical.
- Ability to implement positive change within the department and toward
improving product integrity.
- Prior experience with ISO-9000/AS-9000 environments preferred.
- Basic knowledge of manufacturing and assembly processes together with work
measurement and work standards.
- Basic understanding of Lean, RCCA and 6-Sigma methodology.
To perform this job successfully, an
individual must possess the outlined experience level, education, training:
Work Environment and Safety Equipment Required:
- Associate degree, or working toward a Bachelor's degree in Engineering,
Engineering Technology or other related degree is preferred. Relevant work
experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in engineering functions consistent with the
specific position requirements.
- Special consideration given for 6-Sigma certification, SME Lean certification
and/or Project Management training/certification.
The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of the job.
- Ability to travel between facilities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to
stand; walk; sit; use of hands for tasks that require dexterity and tedious
requirements, occasionally lift one to ten pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus to
review contract documents, identify parts and clearly see operations and identify
hazards in the production area.
- Noise level is moderate in office environment.
- Hearing protection must be worn in designated manufacturing areas.
- Fully enclosed shoes must be worn in all manufacturing areas.
- Safety glasses (ANSI Z87 compliant) required in all manufacturing areas.
- Working Conditions will match that of the functional engineering discipline.
1505 Maiden Lane
Joplin, Missouri, 64801
- Attention To Detail
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Computer Aided Technologies