Our client, a leading business telecom service provider, has multiple openings for a Full-Time – Tier II - Network Support Engineer in Downtown Chicago as well as Westmont, IL. Our client is one of the nation’s largest providers of voice, data, and internet services and systems.
The Tier 2 Network Support Engineer role is responsible for troubleshooting any issues escalated from the Tier 1 team and escalating issues that cannot be resolved to Engineering. This fast paced environment will require the ability to learn fast, adapt quickly, multi task, and works well with customer and employee interaction.
In this role, you will act as a Subject Matter Expert for all products including SDWAN, UCaaS, and Collaboration. You will need to isolate all issues that are escalated to the Tier 2 team, update Ticketing system, isolate any alarms from our Monitoring Systems and update customer documentation as needed. This is a fast-paced environment where each customer is slightly different which present a challenge. For the right person this is the ideal environment that keeps them busy and learning something new every day.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
- Provides Tier 2 support for any escalated issues
- Resolve tickets within the defined SLA
- Escalate any issue that cannot be resolved within the SLA timeframe
- Customer Interaction involves phone meetings for technical review and post-incident analysis
- Repair issues related to IP/MPLS, routing, switching, infrastructure security (Firewalls, IPS/IDS, NGFW, UTM), UCaaS, and other products and services as necessary
- Use existing network monitoring tools to identify, isolate, and resolve issues
- Use network troubleshooting tools such as ping, traceroute, netstat, Putty, Wireshark and others to troubleshoot and isolate issues.
- Administrator for Inventory
- Administrator for Network Monitoring
- Assists with training and cross-training both within the department and throughout the company
Assumes all duties of Network Engineer Level 1
Responsible for Tier 2 customer service for ordering and repair of data services
- DSL, DS1, NxDS1, DS3, EoC, EoDS1, Coax, Fiber, Wireless
- Needs to be familiar with all carriers ordering and repair procedures
- Communicates with customers by phone or e-mail, whichever is preferred.
- Helps maintain network monitoring applications
- LEC/Carrier testing and troubleshooting
- Field dispatch in an install/maintenance/repair capacity
- Routinely cross train all other departments with most current products and services
- Expected to be able to perform relatively advanced troubleshooting as needed
- Helps manage inventory
- Maintains documentation on services, as processes and procedures dictate
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Adheres to specific time frames to resolve service affecting issues.
- Travel required for field work
- Willing to be included on pager off-hour rotation. (24/7 NOC)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Customer Service, Quality Focus, Problem Solving, Documentation Skills, Listening, Phone Skills, Resolving Conflict, Analyzing Information , Multitasking, Critical Thinking, Pro Activity, Time Management, Organized, Troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Experience working in a NOC environment with Cisco or Juniper routers and LAN switches.
- IPVPN, IP, MPLS, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP and IPSec networking protocol experience.
- Experience with the following monitoring and event platforms: PRTG, Splunk, HP OpenView.
- Network management and performance analysis tool experience.
- Knowledge of DNS, NTP, Firewalls and ACLs.
- Willingness to work in 24/7 operations center including shift work (including rotating shifts), days, nights, weekends and holidays as necessary.
- Hold industry recognized certifications (ex. CCNA, CCNP)
- Adtran, Cisco, Meraki Equipment Experience preferred
- 3-5 years of Telecommunications and IP networking experience
- Associate’s degree or three or more years of work experience.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178
Complex Problem Solving