The Quality Engineer is a key member of APQP Activities for future, current, and nonproduction products. The Quality Engineer interprets and establishes all quality criteria, acts as a technical resource to manufacturing and as a customer liaison.
Scope of the Position
The Quality Engineer supports and promotes plant wide quality improvement efforts. Lead and maintain PPAP Process and supporting functions. Evaluate and develop improvement techniques for quality and reliability. Maintain and report on the quality management systems using Process Audits (Layered, Flex-N-Gate, Customer required, Control plan audits). Works with employees, suppliers and customers to produce quality products that meet or exceed the customer and plant's requirements. Coordinates Corrective Action and Continuous Quality Improvement.
- Handle customer issues. Review customer testing requirements and ensure that systems are in place to meet them.
- Work with suppliers to ensure testing requirements are being met and oversee PPAP process.
- Ensure production is producing quality product to specifications.
- Support upkeep of the calibration system. Maintain records, ensure gages and equipment are calibrated within required time.
- Provide support onsite to customer/suppliers as needed.
- Support prototype builds (document according to prototype checklist inspection process).
- Collect SPC data and report monthly; and work with manufacturing on process improvements.
- Support manufacturing in the development of job instructions and procedures.
- Document all activities as required.
- Provide support and maintain compliance with all company guidelines, union contracts, International Quality Standards (ie ISO, IATF, etc.) and all applicable government regulations and standards.
- Define and implement “Customers indicators” to monitor the satisfaction level of the customer and reporting back to management.
- Makes decisions with regard to disposition of non-conforming material and that proper containment and follow up is done.
- Perform additional assignments per manager’s direction.
- Advise on improvements in tracking and reporting procedures.
- Preferred Certified Quality Engineer Certificate
- Preferred 3-5 years’ of related work experience.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma
- Knowledge of production process, machines, tools, including design and uses.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Proficiency with database applications and administration systems, specifically Microsoft Office and the use of statistical software.
- Ability to work effectively alone and prioritize.
- Must be a highly motivated, service and team-oriented individual with an attention to detail.
- Enthusiasm for challenge and new initiatives are prerequisites.
- Strong analytical ability
- Supervisory and interpersonal skills are required
- Troubleshooting ability is required
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated good internal and external customer service skills
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- GDT/Blueprint reading
- Engineering specifications and understanding
- Prototype (Manufacturing)
- Corrective And Preventive Actions
- Production Part Approval Process
- Advanced Product Quality Planning
- Statistical Process Controls
- Process Improvements (Business)